Modifier question

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Modifier question

by Mo2men » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:47 am
At approximately 22 weeks, a fetus becomes fully covered by lanugo, or a fine, soft hair that insulates the body until fat deposits accumulate in the wrinkles of the skin, often remaining until birth.

A) a fine, soft hair that insulates the body until fat deposits accumulate in the wrinkles of the skin, often remaining
B) fine, soft hair insulating the body until the accumulation of fat deposits in the wrinkles of the skin, and these often remain
C) fine, soft hair that insulates the body until the accumulation of fat deposits in the wrinkles of skin that often remain
D) a fine, soft hair, which insulates the body until fat deposits accumulate in the wrinkles of the skin, and which often remain
E) fine, soft hair, which insulates the body until an accumulation of fat deposits in the wrinkles of the skin, which often remains

OA: A
Source: Magoosh

How does the VERB-ing modifier works in OA?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:32 am
Mo2men wrote:How does the VERB-ing modifier works in OA?
Generally, COMMA + VERBing serves to express an action that is brought about by the nearest preceding action.
OA: Fat deposits accumulate in the wrinkles of the skin, often remaining until birth.
Here, the VERBing action in blue is brought about by the preceding action in red.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3