The game of blackjack is played with a deck consisting...

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:2 members
The game of blackjack is played with a deck consisting of 13 cards ( one of each of the numbers 2-10, one jack, one queen, one king and one of ace) in each of fours suits: clubs, diamonds, hearts, and spades.

In a game of blackjack, if your first card is spade, what are the odds that it is an ace?

A. 1/52
B. 1/26
C. 1/13
D. 1/4
E. 5/13

The OA is C.

I don't have clear this PS question, the correct answer should be option D, because there are 4 aces only. I appreciate if any expert explain it for me. Thank you so much.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:48 am
AAPL wrote:The game of blackjack is played with a deck consisting of 13 cards ( one of each of the numbers 2-10, one jack, one queen, one king and one of ace) in each of fours suits: clubs, diamonds, hearts, and spades.

In a game of blackjack, if your first card is spade, what are the odds that it is an ace?

A. 1/52
B. 1/26
C. 1/13
D. 1/4
E. 5/13

The OA is C.

I don't have clear this PS question, the correct answer should be option D, because there are 4 aces only. I appreciate if any expert explain it for me. Thank you so much.
We know that first card is a spade. So imagine a deck consisting solely of this suit. There'd be 13 cards. 1 of them would be an ace. So the probability of selecting an ace, given that we've selected a spade, would be 1/13, or C

You may have inadvertently rewritten the question in your head. If the question had been "If the first card selected is an ace, what is the probability that this card is also a spade?" then the answer would have been 1/4. (Imagine a deck that consisted solely of aces. Now you've got a deck consisting of 4 cards, 1 of which is a spade.)
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:42 pm
AAPL wrote:The game of blackjack is played with a deck consisting of 13 cards ( one of each of the numbers 2-10, one jack, one queen, one king and one of ace) in each of fours suits: clubs, diamonds, hearts, and spades.

A. 1/52
B. 1/26
C. 1/13
D. 1/4
E. 5/13

The OA is C.

Since there are 13 spades and one of them is the ace of spades, the probability of getting an ace when a spade is selected is 1/13.

[Note: The question stem asks for odds, but the answer choices are expressed as probabilities.].

Answer:C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:33 am

A. 1/52
B. 1/26
C. 1/13
D. 1/4
E. 5/13
Once we know that the card is a spade, we know that it must me one of the following 13 cards:
Ace of spades
2 of spades
3 of spades
4 of spades
5 of spades
6 of spades
7 of spades
8 of spades
9 of spades
10 of spades
Jack of spades
Queen of spades