Salt deposits and moisture

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Salt deposits and moisture

by coolvishu11 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:31 pm
80. Salt deposits and moisture threaten to destroy the Mohenjo-Daro excavation in Pakistan, the site of an ancient civilization that flourished at the same time as the civilizations in the Nile delta and the river valleys of the Tigris and Euphrates.

A) that flourished at the same time as the civilizations
B )that had flourished at the same time as had the civilizations
C )that flourished at the same time those had D )flourishing at the same time as those did
E) flourishing at the same time as those were

the OA is A

I dont understand this.. Isnt the comaprision in A incorrect

the ancient civilization flourished as the civilizations in Nile delta..

i thilnk it should be

the ancient civilization that flourished at the same time as DID the civilizations in Nile delta.

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:40 pm
the ancient civilization that flourished at the same time as DID the civilizations in Nile delta
I am not an expert,but definitely I would like to share my views.

When the verb is clear and there is no ambiguity,we don't need to refer back to that verb.

Eg : John worked hard like his other friends.

I know the sentence has a modifier error, but just to give you an idea.

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by cramya » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:12 pm
ancient civilization that flourished at the same time as the civilizations in the Nile delta and the river valleys of the Tigris and Euphrates

I think its a logical comparison i.e we are saying one civilization flourished at the same time as the other one did (implied meaning)

One good strategy for Verbal is ELIMINATING the wrong answers. On difficult questions/questions were we struggle to pick a choice right away(since the others are as bad as it can get) this is the way to go...

B )that had flourished at the same time as had the civilizations

Unnecessarily uses past perfect when simple past is sufficient

C )that flourished at the same time those had

Awkward construction and comparison

D )flourishing at the same time as those did

Awkward construction and comparison

E) flourishing at the same time as those were

Awkward construction
Is it still flourishing, no thats not what the original sentence tried to convey or in this case conveyed since its A So basically it boiled down to "Are there any other choices that are grammatically correct for me to discard A and the answer is NO"

Hope this helps also.

Regards,
CR

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by hemanth28 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:56 pm
gmat740 wrote:
the ancient civilization that flourished at the same time as DID the civilizations in Nile delta
I am not an expert,but definitely I would like to share my views.

When the verb is clear and there is no ambiguity,we don't need to refer back to that verb.

Eg : John worked hard like his other friends.

I know the sentence has a modifier error, but just to give you an idea.
According to what you say the statement "French wines taste better than Australian wines" must also be right ??

But i guess it is wrong usage clearly... I believe for this question all the answers are not totally right .. however A is the better of all the wrong ones...
GMAT First take :- 680
Getting the guns ready for second shot !!!
https://beatenbygmat.blocked

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mittalashwani13 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:08 am
We can immediately eliminate C, D and E because the civilizations in ...and the river valleys should be parallel ...Now "the river valleys" is not underlined ...then it means it got to be "the civilizations"

And there is NO need of past perfect tense as it is just a logical switch between simple present and past tense .... so A is the best of all.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by perfectstranger » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:45 am
A) that flourished at the same time as the civilizations
B )that had flourished at the same time as had the civilizations –No need to use past perfect OUT-
C )that flourished at the same time those had -had distorts paralelism OUT-
D )flourishing at the same time as those did - the site of an ancient civilization flourishing at the same time as those did in the Nile delta and the river valleys of the Tigris and Euphrates. This sentence violates the meaning ….as those did those refers to what ? The site or ancient civilization ? OUT-

E) flourishing at the same time as those were- same as D - OUT

Please correct me if my idea is wrong
Please do not post answers visibly . Please hide them or post them later after the discussion.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by siidheart » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:39 am
Seen the answers. Why I could not agree with the choice was for the obvious omission of the word "did". Then, I saw ellipses, according to which, an omission is self explanatory. till the verbs are in te same tense.
Then, according to ellipses, the two sentences must be right:-
1. Like my brother, I aced the GMAT.
2. As my brother, I aced the GMAT.
The second contains an ellipse. As my brother (did), I aced the GMAT.

Please clarify.