The price of 5 kilograms of premium fertilizer is the...

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:6 members
The price of 5 kilograms of premium fertilizer is the same as the price of 6 kilograms of regular fertilizer. if the price of premium fertilizer is y cents per kilogram more than the price of regular fertilizer, what is the price, in cents, per kilogram of premium fertilizer?

A) y/30
B) 5/6*y
C) 6/5*y
D) 5y
E) 6y

The OA is E.

I'm really confused with this PS question. Please, can any expert assist me with it? Thanks in advanced.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by GMATWisdom » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:37 am
LUANDATO wrote:The price of 5 kilograms of premium fertilizer is the same as the price of 6 kilograms of regular fertilizer. if the price of premium fertilizer is y cents per kilogram more than the price of regular fertilizer, what is the price, in cents, per kilogram of premium fertilizer?

A) y/30
B) 5/6*y
C) 6/5*y
D) 5y
E) 6y

The OA is E.

I'm really confused with this PS question. Please, can any expert assist me with it? Thanks in advanced.
IF THE PRICE OF PREMIUM FERTILLIZER IS A CENTS PER KG
THEN COST OF 5KG WOULD BE 5A CENTS
COST 6 KG REGULAR FERTILZER WOULD ALSO BE = 5A
COST PER KG OF REGULAR FERTLIZER WOULD BE= 5A/6
AS PER GIVEN STATEMENT A= 5A/6 + Y
OR A-5A/6 = Y
OR A/6 = Y
OR A = 6Y
THEREFORE E IS THE CORRECT OPTION

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:09 pm
LUANDATO wrote:The price of 5 kilograms of premium fertilizer is the same as the price of 6 kilograms of regular fertilizer. if the price of premium fertilizer is y cents per kilogram more than the price of regular fertilizer, what is the price, in cents, per kilogram of premium fertilizer?

A) y/30
B) 5/6*y
C) 6/5*y
D) 5y
E) 6y

The OA is E.

Pick a simple number that's a multiple of 5 and 6. In this case, say 5 kilograms of premium and 6 kilograms of regular, each cost 30 cents.

Premium unit cost = 30/5 = 6 cents

Regular unit cost = 30/6 = 5 cents.

If y is the difference, then y must be 6-5 = 1.

We want the premium unit cost, or 6 cents. Plug in '1' for 'y' until an answer choice yields '6'. E will work.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course