Bruno and Sacha are running in the same

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

Bruno and Sacha are running in the same

by VJesus12 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:25 am
Bruno and Sacha are running in the same direction around a stadium. Sacha runs at a constant speed of 6 meters per second, and Bruno runs at a constant speed of 5 meters per second. At a certain point, Sacha overtakes Bruno. If one minute afterward, Sacha stops and waits for Bruno to reach her, then how many seconds does she have to wait?

A. 12
B. 24
C. 36
D. 60
E. 72

The OA is A.

I liked this question but I couldn't solve it. Experts, I would love if you could help me here. Thanks in advance.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:58 am
VJesus12 wrote:Bruno and Sacha are running in the same direction around a stadium. Sacha runs at a constant speed of 6 meters per second, and Bruno runs at a constant speed of 5 meters per second. At a certain point, Sacha overtakes Bruno. If one minute afterward, Sacha stops and waits for Bruno to reach her, then how many seconds does she have to wait?

A. 12
B. 24
C. 36
D. 60
E. 72

The OA is A.

I liked this question but I couldn't solve it. Experts, I would love if you could help me here. Thanks in advance.
If Sacha runs at 6 meters/sec and Bruno runs at 5 meters/sec, then when they're both running, Sacha pulls away from Bruno at a rate of 6-5 = 1 meter/second

1 minute, or 60 seconds, after pulling even, Sacha will be 1 * 60 = 60 meters ahead of Bruno

Once Sacha stops, Bruno will have to cover 60 meters to catch up. It will take Bruno 60/5 = 12 seconds to do so. The answer is A
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:12 members

by EconomistGMATTutor » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:02 am
Hello Vjesus12.

This is a nice question, and it is easier than you think. We have the following:

Sacha runs at a constant speed of 6 meters per second
Bruno runs at a constant speed of 5 meters per second

So, the difference between them is 1 meter per second.

If Sacha had to stop 1 minute, then she was 60 meters ahead of Bruno. Now, Bruno can run 60 meters in 60/5 =12 seconds.

It implies that Sacha had to wait 12 seconds. The correct answer is A.

I hope this explanation may help you.

I'm available if you'd like a follow-up.

Regards.
GMAT Prep From The Economist
We offer 70+ point score improvement money back guarantee.
Our average student improves 98 points.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:24 am
VJesus12 wrote:Bruno and Sacha are running in the same direction around a stadium. Sacha runs at a constant speed of 6 meters per second, and Bruno runs at a constant speed of 5 meters per second. At a certain point, Sacha overtakes Bruno. If one minute afterward, Sacha stops and waits for Bruno to reach her, then how many seconds does she have to wait?

A. 12
B. 24
C. 36
D. 60
E. 72

The OA is A.

In the one minute after Sasha overtakes Bruno, Bruno runs a distance of 5 x 60 = 300 meters, and Sacha runs 6 x 60 = 360 meters.

Thus, it takes Bruno 60/5 = 12 seconds to catch up to Sasha.

Answer: A

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage