Cutting grass

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Cutting grass

by manik11 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:12 pm
One person alone can cut the grass of a yard in 4 hours. If two people both working at that rate were to work on cutting the grass, but one person is to start and the other is to join him later, how long after the first person starts working should the second one join so that the task is completed in 3 hours?

A) Both should start at the same time
B) 45 minutes later
C) 1 hour later
D) 1 hour 20 minutes later
E) 2 hours later

OA : E

Source : Bellcurves

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:26 am
manik11 wrote:One person alone can cut the grass of a yard in 4 hours. If two people both working at that rate were to work on cutting the grass, but one person is to start and the other is to join him later, how long after the first person starts working should the second one join so that the task is completed in 3 hours?

B) 45 minutes later
C) 1 hour later
E) 2 hours later
Let the yard = 12 units.
Since each person can compete the task in 4 hours, the rate per person = w/t = 12/4 = 3 units per hour.
Thus, the combined rate for 2 people working together = 3+3 = 6 units per hour.

We can PLUG IN THE ANSWERS, which represent how long the first person works alone.
When the correct answer is plugged in, the amount of work completed in 3 hours will be 12 units.

D: 1 hour 20 minutes
At a rate of 3 units per hour, work completed by one person in 4/3 hours = rt = (3)(4/3) = 4 units.
Remaining time = 3 - 4/3 = 5/3 hours.
At a combined rate of 6 units per hour, work completed by two people in the remaining 5/3 hours = (6)(5/3) = 10 units.
Total work completed in 3 hours = 4+10 = 14 units.
Too much work is completed.
Eliminate D.

To reduce the amount of work completed, the first person must spend MORE TIME working alone.

The correct answer is E.

E: 2 hours
At a rate of 3 units per hour, work completed by one person in 2 hours = rt = (3)(2) = 6 units.
Remaining time = 3 - 2 = 1 hours.
At a combined rate of 6 units per hour, work completed by two people in the remaining 1 hour = (6)(1) = 6 units.
Total work completed in 3 hours = 6+6 = 12 units.
Success!
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:12 am
manik11 wrote:One person alone can cut the grass of a yard in 4 hours. If two people both working at that rate were to work on cutting the grass, but one person is to start and the other is to join him later, how long after the first person starts working should the second one join so that the task is completed in 3 hours?

B) 45 minutes later
C) 1 hour later
E) 2 hours later

Source : Bellcurves
If a person can cut the grass in 4 hours, that person cuts 1/4 of the lawn per hour.

So cutting the lawn takes 4 total person hours.

We want the job to get completed in 3 hours.

If one person cuts for 3 hours, he will complete 3/4 of the lawn.

So the other person needs to cut 1/4 of the lawn, meaning the second person needs to cut for 1 hour, which would be the last hour of the 3 hours.

So the second person needs to join after the first person has cut for 2 hours.

The correct answer is E.

And believe me I know of what I speak. LOL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Y_QnL2LTM
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:14 pm
I'd think of it this way.

Rate of one guy = 1/4 per hour
Rate of two guys together = 1/2 per hour

Suppose the first guy works for x hours alone and the two work together for y hours. Then we have

(1/4)x + (1/2)y = 1
and
x + y = 3

Multiply the first equation by 2, and we have

(1/2)x + y = 2
and
x + y = 3

So (1/2)x = 1, and x = 2, and we're done! (Note the real key here: we made x the variable for which we were solving, so we didn't have to correct too much at the end.)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:22 members

by Jeff@TargetTestPrep » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:44 am

B) 45 minutes later
C) 1 hour later
E) 2 hours later
Since each person can mow the lawn in 4 hours, the rate of each person = 1/4. We are given that two people complete the task in 3 hours when one person joins the other some time later. If we let the time when the second person joins the first person be t hours later, then the first person works for 3 hours and the second person works for (3 - t) hours. With their respective rates being 1/4, we can create the following equation:

1/4(3) + 1/4(3 - t) = 1

3/4 + 3/4 - 1/4t = 1

3/2 - 1/4t = 1

-1/4t = -1/2

t = 2

Answer: E

Jeffrey Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews