Elite Official SC 34

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

Elite Official SC 34

by richachampion » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:30 pm
Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.

A. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,
B. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, they cost less,
C. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers, in comparison with most sport utility vehicles, and have a lower cost, they
D. Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,
E. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles the cost is lower, and they
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member

ss

by richachampion » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:31 pm
OA is A, but I choose D.

Can we discuss this?

Question #1:
Is it possible to have 2modifiers, connected by a comma, modifying the same noun?

Question #2:
I was studying the solution to this question from some another forum but still couldn't understand many things. This one and this one, for example.

Question #3
Do we have any such rule that is applicable to GMAC SC questions "if you have a sentence that says "compared to/with" or "as compared to/with", then the sentence CANNOT also say a comparison word, such as more, less, greater, prefer, better, worse, etc." and if this rule is true than the current question is an exception to this rule?

Question #4
Will it be logically correct to eliminate Option D because Comma + Verb Ing modifies the preceding action, and here it seems to modify the noun?

Is this a correct logic for elimination?

Additionally, Now I also realize that comma+verbing places a restriction that events are happening at the same time as such the option D changes the meaning.
This option now conveys that "only when" Minivans carry as many as seven passengers then only the comparison is valid.

Is my understanding correct or I am overthinking?
Last edited by richachampion on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:29 am, edited 8 times in total.
R I C H A,
[email protected]

Legendary Member

xxx

by richachampion » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:10 pm
R I C H A,
[email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:44 am
richachampion wrote:OA is A, but I choose D.

Can we discuss this?

Question #1:
Is it possible to have 2modifiers, connected by a comma, modifying the same noun?
Yes.
I discuss this issue here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/in-a-state-o ... 78633.html
b]Question #2:[/b]
I was studying the solution to this question from some another forum but still couldn't understand many things. This one and this one, for example.
What is your question?
Question #3
Do we have any such rule that is applicable to GMAC SC questions "if you have a sentence that says "compared to/with" or "as compared to/with", then the sentence CANNOT also say a comparison word, such as more, less, greater, prefer, better, worse, etc." and if this rule is true than the current question is an exception to this rule?
In most cases, it will be redundant to combine a compared-modifier with a comparative such as more than.
Here, the purpose of the compared-modifier is CONCISION.
The OA conveys the following meaning:
Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and cost less than most sport utility vehicles, get better mileage than most sport utility vehicles, allow passengers to get in and out more easily than do most sport utility vehicles. and have a smoother ride than most sport utility vehicles.
Because of the repetition of the four red portions, the sentence above is unnecessarily long.
In the OA, the four red portions are replaced with a single compared-modifier, as follows:
Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.
The result is a sentence that is more concise and easier to follow.
Question #4
Will it be logically correct to eliminate Option D because Comma + Verb Ing modifies the preceding action, and here it seems to modify the noun?

Is this a correct logic for elimination?
COMMA + VERBing can follow a subject.
SC21 in the OG12:
Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge, are now drawing solid conclusions.
Additionally, Now I also realize that comma+verbing places a restriction that events are happening at the same time as such the option D changes the meaning.
This option now conveys that "only when" Minivans carry as many as seven passengers then only the comparison is valid.

Is my understanding correct or I am overthinking?
This line of reasoning is sound.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3