virtual-reality therapy to reduce their fear of heights

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Of the 300 subjects who participated in an experiment using virtual-reality therapy to reduce their fear of heights, 40 percent experienced sweaty palms, 30 percent experienced vomiting, and 75 percent experienced dizziness. If all of the subjects experienced at least one of these effects and 35 percent of the subjects experienced exactly two of these effects, how many of the subjects experienced only one of these effects?

A. 105
B. 125
C. 130
D. 180
E. 195

OAD

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Sets Problem, Re-attaching image

by OWN » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:00 pm
Hi KamalJ,

This is a difficult question that will unlikely affect your overall score if you do encounter it, but here is the way to do it.

Basically, you're looking at an overlapping sets question. I needed to visualize it, so I drew a Venn diagram (attached) and labelled each segment with a letter:
  • X: Sweaty Palms ONLY
    Y: Vomitting ONLY
    Z: Dizziness ONLY
    a: Sweaty Palms AND Vomiting
    b: Sweaty Palms AND Dizziness
    c: Vomiting AND Dizziness
    d: Sweaty Palms AND Vomiting AND Dizziness (All three)
    Zero students experienced no symptoms
In this case, it becomes apparent that we want the value of (X+Y+Z).

I then used the fact that all the students experienced at least one symptom (provided in the question) to create a series of equations:

Since 40% of students did experience sweaty palms, 60% of students did not experience sweaty palms, so we can add up all the terms that do not contain Sweaty Palms and they should equal 60%:

Y+Z+c=60

Since 30% of students did experience vomiting, 70% of students DID NOT experience sweaty palms, so we can add up all the terms that do not contain Vomiting and they should equal 70%:

X+Z+b=70

Since 75% of students did experience dizziness, 25% of students did not experience sweaty palms, so we can add up all the terms that do not contain Dizziness and they should equal 25%:

X+Y+a=25

Now, add them all together:

Y+Z+c+X+Z+b+X+Y+a = 60 + 70 + 25

2(X+Y+Z) + (a+b+c) = 155

Notice that a+b+c includes all the people who experienced exactly two symptoms. According to the question, that value is equal to 35%. So we now have:

2(X+Y+Z) + 35 = 155
2(X+Y+Z) = 120
(X+Y+Z) = 60%
60% of 300 is 180, which is answer choice D.

This question will definitely take a bit of time. An alternative approach if your running low on time and want to eliminate some wrong choices would be to calculate the percentages represented in the answer choices:

A) 105/300 = 7/20 = 35 %
B) 125/300 = 5/12 = not a clean percentage (instantly makes me skeptical given the information in the question all involves clean percentages and I know that for set questions, I will typically only be adding/subtracting terms)
C) 130/300 = 13/30 = not a clean percentage
D) 180/300 = 3/5 = 60%
E) 195/300 = 13/20 = 65%

So having eliminated B and C, I would have A,D,and E to choose from. I would likely eliminate A because it seems low given the numbers. Also, something I learned from an Empower course with Rich suggests that A and E would be incorrect. Thus, in a pinch I would still narrow it down to D.

Best,
-OWN

$$$$

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:08 pm
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3