All of the arrangements made in a flower shop yesterday...

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:2 members
All of the arrangements made in a flower shop yesterday contained roses, tulips, or lilies, or some combination of the three types. 32 of the arrangemets made yesterday contained roses, 42 contained tulips, and 41 contained lilies. 16 of the arrangements made yesterday contained roses and tulips, 18 contained lilies and tulips, and 8 contained roses and lilies. If 5 of the arrangements made yesterday contained all three types, how many total arrangements were made?

A. 63
B. 68
C. 78
D. 83
E. 115

The OA is C.

Please, can any expert assist me with this PS question? I don't have it clear and I appreciate if any explain it for me. Thanks.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:52 pm
AAPL wrote:All of the arrangements made in a flower shop yesterday contained roses, tulips, or lilies, or some combination of the three types. 32 of the arrangemets made yesterday contained roses, 42 contained tulips, and 41 contained lilies. 16 of the arrangements made yesterday contained roses and tulips, 18 contained lilies and tulips, and 8 contained roses and lilies. If 5 of the arrangements made yesterday contained all three types, how many total arrangements were made?

A. 63
B. 68
C. 78
D. 83
E. 11
Use a VENN DIAGRAM.

32 contained roses.
42 contained tulips.
41 contained lilies.

Complete the Venn diagram by working from the CENTER OUT.

5 of the arrangements made yesterday contained all three types:

16 contained roses and tulips.
18 contained lilies and tulips.
8 contained roses and lilies.

Subtracting from these figures the 5 who like all 3 types of flowers, we get:

Subtracting the values in the diagram from R=32, T=42, and L=41, we get:

Summing the values in the Venn Diagram, we get:
13+11+13+3+5+13+20 = 78.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:03 pm
AAPL wrote:All of the arrangements made in a flower shop yesterday contained roses, tulips, or lilies, or some combination of the three types. 32 of the arrangemets made yesterday contained roses, 42 contained tulips, and 41 contained lilies. 16 of the arrangements made yesterday contained roses and tulips, 18 contained lilies and tulips, and 8 contained roses and lilies. If 5 of the arrangements made yesterday contained all three types, how many total arrangements were made?

A. 63
B. 68
C. 78
D. 83
E. 115

The OA is C.

Please, can any expert assist me with this PS question? I don't have it clear and I appreciate if any explain it for me. Thanks.
We can create the equation:

Total = total single overlaps - total double overlaps + triple overlap

Total = 32 + 42 + 41 - 16 - 18 - 8 + 5

Total = 115 - 42 + 5

Total = 78

Answer: C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage