A dish of Babette’s mango surprise consists entirely of ma

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:620
A dish of Babette's mango surprise consists entirely of mangoes, sunflower seeds, agave nectar, and assorted other fruits. If a serving of the dish contains 6 oz. of mango, 4 oz. of sunflower seeds, and 2 oz. of agave nectar, and the ratio of mangoes to sunflower seeds is doubled, what is the ratio of mangoes to the rest of the ingredients in the new serving of the dish?

A. 1 : 2
B. 12 : 22
C. 3 : 5
D. 2 : 3
E. It cannot be determined from the information given.

OA is E

by regor60 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:12 am
vinni.k wrote:A dish of Babette's mango surprise consists entirely of mangoes, sunflower seeds, agave nectar, and assorted other fruits. If a serving of the dish contains 6 oz. of mango, 4 oz. of sunflower seeds, and 2 oz. of agave nectar, and the ratio of mangoes to sunflower seeds is doubled, what is the ratio of mangoes to the rest of the ingredients in the new serving of the dish?

A. 1 : 2
B. 12 : 22
C. 3 : 5
D. 2 : 3
E. It cannot be determined from the information given.

OA is E
The ratio of mango to sunflowers is 6:4, or 3:2. Doubling the ratio would make it 3:1

Doubling the ratio of mango to sunflower can be accomplished many ways, for example:

Hold mango portion constant at 6 would imply reducing sunflowers to 2

Reduce mango portion to 3 and reduce sunflower portion to 1

Increase mango portion to 12 and hold sunflower constant

So there is no definite answer of how much mango there is after changing the ratio to 3:1.
Without knowing this the question can't be answered

by vinni.k » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:09 am
Thanks for your reply.

I understood what you are saying but it is asking about the ratio of mangoes to rest of the ingredients, and not the number of mangoes.

i.e mango / (mango + sunflower + nector + assorted)

What i was thinking that nothing has been mentioned about "assorted" so E is the answer.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:15 pm
Hi vinni.k,

What is the source of this question? I ask because the prompt clearly leaves out an essential piece of information (the amount of "assorted other fruits" that make up the dish). Without that information, there's no way to properly determine the ratio of mangoes to "everything else", so there's no way to answer the question. That type of "hole" in the information is not something that GMAT writers create very often in PS questions (you're given specific information and expected to organize/manipulate it to answer a specific question - but that's not what happens here). This is all meant to say that if you're studying for the GMAT, then you might want to work with more representative study materials.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by vinni.k » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:00 am
Rich,

Thanks for your reply.
That is the only reason i have posted this question, even i was also a bit confused while attempting it. However, the source of this question is "Veritas."