Five people, Ada, Ben, Cathy, Dan, and Eliza, are

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
Five people, Ada, Ben, Cathy, Dan, and Eliza, are lining up for a photo. What is the probability that none of the three girls will stand next to one another?

(A) 0.1
(B) 0.2
(C) 0.3
(D) 0.4
(E) 0.5

The OA is A .

I don't know what formula should I set. Can any expert give me some help? Please.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:12 members

by EconomistGMATTutor » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:37 am
Hello Vincen.

Let's take a look at your question.

The only option that none of the three girls will stand next to one another is that they stand in the first, third and fifth places.

So, they have 3! options to stand. And the boys has 2! options. The total of possible options is 5!.

So, the answer is $$\frac{3!\cdot2!}{5!}=\frac{1}{10}=0.1.$$

The correct answer is A .

I hope this explanation may help you.

I'm available if you'd like a follow up.
GMAT Prep From The Economist
We offer 70+ point score improvement money back guarantee.
Our average student improves 98 points.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:25 pm
Hi Vincen,

We're given 3 girls and 2 boys and told to put them in a line. We're asked for the probability that none of the three girls will stand next to one another. This question can be approached in a number of different ways. Here's how you can use permutations and probability to get to the correct answer:

With 5 people, there are 5! = 120 possible arrangements. Lining up the 5 people, there's just one option for the 3 girls to NOT stand next to one another:

GBGBG = (3)(2)(2)(1)(1) = 12 options

Thus, the probability of the 3 girls NOT standing next to one another is 12/120 = 1/10 = 10% = .1

Final Answer: A

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:16 pm
Vincen wrote:Five people, Ada, Ben, Cathy, Dan, and Eliza, are lining up for a photo. What is the probability that none of the three girls will stand next to one another?

(A) 0.1
(B) 0.2
(C) 0.3
(D) 0.4
(E) 0.5
For the 3 girls to be separated, they must occupy the first, third and fifth positions, as follows:
G_G_G.

P(girl occupies the first position) = 3/5. (Of the 5 children, 3 are girls.)
P(girl occupies the third position) = 2/4. (Of the 4 remaining children, 2 are girls, since 1 of the 3 girls occupies the first position.)
P(girl occupies the fifth position) = 1/3. (Of the 3 remaining children, only 1 is a girl, since 2 of the 3 girls occupy the first and third positions.)
To combine these probabilities, we multiply:
3/5 * 2/4 * 1/3 = 1/10.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3