640 (40Q) to 760 (50Q) in 7 weeks

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

640 (40Q) to 760 (50Q) in 7 weeks

by mileshrp » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:31 pm
I was under a pretty severe time crunch and needed to pick up my quant score. My score at the time (45) wasn't bad, but I wanted to get to 50 and needed to move on from the GMAT to work on applications. I was growing frustrated with other resources, largely because I was answering problems out of a book rather than on a screen. Nothing I found seemed geared toward the kind of tailored help I needed. I began looking around for a tutor, which is how I got in touch with Jeff Miller from TTP.

Over the following weeks I went through the sections on the TTP site and did some private tutoring with Jeff. Both were invaluable to me. First of all, the chapter quizzes on the website, and the ability to make custom quizzes, enabled me to simulate the CAT experience and focus on areas in which I needed to improve. I could create custom quizzes comprised of only hard questions in the areas in which I needed to improve, and then review the solutions to those problems u ntil I fully understood the concepts. Until signing up for this course, I simply hadn't found anything with that level of depth. The ability to highlight sections in the course chapters and bookmark certain problems in the quizzes to review later was especially helpful.

The one-on-one tutoring with Jeff was incredible. He taught me plenty of tricks for complex problems in addition to general strategies which I was able to use on test day. Some of the wisdom he imparted was stuff I hadn't heard anywhere, even after going through all the Manhattan Prep books and speaking with lots of other people studying for the test. Let me tell you, when a problem came up that I was able to answer in 10 seconds which would have taken 2 or 3 minutes otherwise, I was grateful I had invested in the tutoring. Jeff, in addition, has a response time which rarely exceeds 10 seconds. Not an exaggeration. He would literally text me at like 8PM on a Friday night to ask how my practice test we nt. Beyond improving my knowledge base and GMAT skillset, it was awesome just to be supported like that. Overall, I can't recommend these guys enough. The tutoring and chapter quizzes were a huge reason I brought my score up as high as I did. Ended up with a 760, 50Q. Thanks guys!