After the Great Depression’s exceptionally high unemployme

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:23 members
After the Great Depression's exceptionally high unemployment rates, job prospects did improve in the late 1930's, but as late as 1941 nearly 1 in 6 people were still out of work.

A. After the Great Depression's exceptionally high unemployment rates, job prospects did improve in the late 1930's, but

B. Although job prospects did improve in the late 1930's after the Great Depression, a period in which unemployment rates were exceptionally high,

C. Following the Great Depression's exceptionally high unemployment rates, job prospects did improve in the late 1930's, and

D. While job prospects did improve in the late 1930's after the Great Depression's exceptionally high unemployment rates,

E. Despite the fact that job prospects did improve in the 1930's after the Great Depression and its exceptionally high unemployment rates,

I have some doubts here, What is wrong with Option D?

OA B

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by VJesus12 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:52 am
I also have the same doubt. But, in addition, I would like to know how to discard option E?

Experts, can you clarify this SC question to us?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by prada » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:57 pm
D] I think "Great Depression's" sounds awkward.
E} Not sure what "it" refers to

I think that is the problem with the two

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:12 members

by EconomistGMATTutor » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:38 pm
Hello!

To answer your question, the problem with answer D is mainly because it starts with "While," which is a commonly misused conjunction in English!

We generally don't suggest using the word "while" to show contrast - it's really meant to say that two things were happening at the same time. Using a stronger transition word like "although" makes it clearer to the reader you're comparing or contrasting two times (the '30s and '40s).

I hope this helps! I'm available if you'd like any follow up.
GMAT Prep From The Economist
We offer 70+ point score improvement money back guarantee.
Our average student improves 98 points.

by BTGmoderatorDC » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:50 pm
prada wrote:D] I think "Great Depression's" sounds awkward.
E} Not sure what "it" refers to

I think that is the problem with the two
Thanks a lot!

by BTGmoderatorDC » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:54 pm
EconomistGMATTutor wrote:Hello!

To answer your question, the problem with answer D is mainly because it starts with "While," which is a commonly misused conjunction in English!

We generally don't suggest using the word "while" to show contrast - it's really meant to say that two things were happening at the same time. Using a stronger transition word like "although" makes it clearer to the reader you're comparing or contrasting two times (the '30s and '40s).

I hope this helps! I'm available if you'd like any follow up.
Thanks a lot!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by uce08 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:18 am
lheiannie07 wrote:After the Great Depression's exceptionally high unemployment rates, job prospects did improve in the late 1930's, but as late as 1941 nearly 1 in 6 people were still out of work.

A. After the Great Depression's exceptionally high unemployment rates, job prospects did improve in the late 1930's, but

B. Although job prospects did improve in the late 1930's after the Great Depression, a period in which unemployment rates were exceptionally high,

C. Following the Great Depression's exceptionally high unemployment rates, job prospects did improve in the late 1930's, and

D. While job prospects did improve in the late 1930's after the Great Depression's exceptionally high unemployment rates,

E. Despite the fact that job prospects did improve in the 1930's after the Great Depression and its exceptionally high unemployment rates,

I have some doubts here, What is wrong with Option D?

OA B

Why not A