Sean and George collect two kind of kernels...

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:6 members
Sean and George collect two kind of kernels: apricot kernels and mango kernels. If George has 4 apricot kernels and together they have a total of 40 kernels (of both kinds) then, how many of these 40 kernels are mango kernels?

1) The number of apricot kernels that Sean has is half the total number of mango kernels they have together.
2) Sean has three times as many kernels George has.

The OA is A.

I'm really confused with this DS question. Please, can any expert assist me with it? Thanks in advanced.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Jay@ManhattanReview » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:39 pm
LUANDATO wrote:Sean and George collect two kind of kernels: apricot kernels and mango kernels. If George has 4 apricot kernels and together they have a total of 40 kernels (of both kinds) then, how many of these 40 kernels are mango kernels?

1) The number of apricot kernels that Sean has is half the total number of mango kernels they have together.

The OA is A.

I'm really confused with this DS question. Please, can any expert assist me with it? Thanks in advanced.
We have

Total numbers of apricot kernel + Total numbers of mango kernel = 40

=> Numbers of apricot kernel with George + Numbers of apricot kernel with George + Total numbers of mango kernel = 40

=> 4 + Numbers of apricot kernel with George + Total numbers of mango kernel = 40

=> Numbers of apricot kernel with George + Total numbers of mango kernel = 36

We have to find out the value of 'Total numbers of mango kernel.'

Say the total number of mango kernels they have together = x, thus, the number of apricot kernels that Sean has = x/2

=> x/2 + x = 36 => x = 24. Sufficient.

Cannot get the value of the total number of mango kernels they have together. Insufficient.

The correct answer: A

Hope this helps!

-Jay

Locations: New York | Barcelona | Manila | Melbourne | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced GMAT Prep Advisor! Click here.