The law demands that a driver

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:23 members

The law demands that a driver

by BTGmoderatorDC » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:32 am
The law demands that a driver passes an eyesight test before obtaining a license irrespective of whether the driver wears corrective lenses.

a, passes an eyesight test before obtaining a license irrespective of whether the driver wears corrective lenses
b, passing an eyesight test before obtaining a license irrespective of whether the driver wears corrective lenses
c, pass an eyesight test before obtaining a license irrespective of whether the driver wears corrective lenses
d, pass an eyesight test before obtaining a license irrespective of if the driver wears corrective lenses
e, pass an eyesight test before obtaining a license irrespective of whether the driver wears corrective lenses or not

What is wrong with the other options?

OA C

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by vaibhav101 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:34 am
statement A is wrong because of passes(plural), since the statement says a driver (singular), it should be pass(singular)
B is wrong because of passing
C is correct.
now for options D and E
if you have to choose between doing and not doing something, use "whether". If your choices are distinct, use "if". For example, if you have to choose between pursuing an MBA in India or abroad, you should write "I am wondering if I should pursue an MBA in India or abroad". If you have to choose between pursuing and not pursuing an MBA, you should write "I am wondering whether I should pursue an MBA". Also, because whether implies the "not A", you never use "or not" with whether.