Alan & Charlie

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:23 members

Alan & Charlie

by BTGmoderatorDC » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:34 pm
Alan: Industrialisation helps in achieving a variety of social objectives such as employment, gender equality and poverty eradication. Thus, Industrialization must be promoted extensively for the welfare of a nation.

Charlie: But you must also consider that extensive industrial processes can have negative environmental impacts, causing climate change, loss of natural resources and extinction of species. These threaten the economic and social welfare of a nation. Thus, the nation should promote the positive impacts of industrial development while limiting or eliminating its negative impacts.

Charlie objects to Alan's argument by

A. showing that Alan has based his argument on limited understanding of the impact of Industrialisation
B. claiming that Alan has exaggerated the positive impacts of Industrialisation.
C. Rejecting Alan's argument as flawed
D. contradicting the evidence that Alan has used to support his argument.
E. suggesting that negative impacts of Industrialisation offset its positive impacts.

How will i distinguish the correct option in this argument?

OA A

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by VJesus12 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:59 am
I liked this question and I also would like to know how to determine the correct option.

Experts, may you give us some help here. I would be thankful.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:12 members

by EconomistGMATTutor » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:31 am
Alan's conclusion: Industrialization must be promoted extensively for the welfare of a nation.
Alan's evidence: Industrialisation helps in achieving a variety of social objectives.

Charlie's conclusion: Nations should promote the positive impacts of industrial development while limiting or eliminating its negative impacts.
Charlie's evidence: Extensive industrial processes can have negative environmental impacts that threaten the economic and social welfare of a nation.

The question asks how Charlie responds to Alan. Charlie does not doubt Alan's evidence. He just feels that he's not telling the whole story. Yes, industrialization can help a nation, but it can also hurt the nation. This is what Choice A says.

Choice B: Charlie does not claim that Alan has exaggerated the positive impacts of industrialization. He just hasn't mentioned the negatives.
Choice C: Again, Charlie does not feel that Alan's evidence is incorrect or flawed; it's just not the whole story.
Choice D: Once again, Alan's evidence is not, according to Charlie, incorrect. Charlie never contradicts Alan's evidence.
Choice E: Charlie does not say that the negatives outweigh the positives. In fact, Charlie makes a case for (careful) industrialization.

I'm available for further questions.
GMAT Prep From The Economist
We offer 70+ point score improvement money back guarantee.
Our average student improves 98 points.