What are my chances of getting into Yale, UCLA and Cornell?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:650
Hi!!

Thanks for providing this wonderful service. My profile is as following:

Male , Indian(Age: 22)
Undergrad: B.E(Mechanical Engg-2008)( Gold Medalist in 3rd and 4th year)
GPA: 4.0/4.0
TOEFL iBT: 115/120
GMAT: 650; AWA-6.0

Started my own business of manufacturing and export Now I lead 120 employees who are employed in different departments.

Thanks for all your efforts and patience.
Last edited by am0712 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by Cindy Tokumitsu » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:57 pm
Hello,

Thank you for your question. There are strengths in your profile that differentiate and distinguish you, such as your strong and unusual work experience, the initiative and vision that experience demonstrates, and a 4.0 GPA is great too. As far as your work experience, while it’s relatively short, the quality of that experience is very strong and also impressive– the ideal combination for a younger applicant. Also strong extracurriculars. The GMAT is indeed low for those programs and for your demographic group. However, it’s not so low that the adcom would question your ability to perform in the program. The key piece of information that is missing for me is your goals, and how your experience aligns with your goals. Assuming that there is coherence in your goals, you would have a chance at these schools IF you make a very strong case in your essays showing unique and compelling insight from your experience – which is what would become the contribution to the learning environment, not the fact of your doing these things. And I emphasize, have a chance. Not necessarily a great chance – it’s what I’d call a “reasonable reach.”

One caveat: since you have your own demanding business, the adcoms would likely wonder how you plan to pursue a full-time MBA. Who will run your company in your two-year absence, or how will this issue be dealt with? Generally these full-time programs do not want people who are actively involved in work; they want your full attention. This is a point you should address in your application.

I believe that all the schools you mention have a mix of pedagogical styles. And it certainly makes sense to seek assistance with your essays – for that is where you will distinguish yourself from other qualified applicants and convey the insight arising from your experience.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Editor, Accepted.com
www.accepted.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:650

Thanks!!

by am0712 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:56 am
Hi Cindy,

Thanks a lot for all the insight. All points noted. I have clearly set goals in my mind and have always worked according to that.

I would also like to know whether I will be competitive at Oxford: Said?

Thanks again!!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by Cindy Tokumitsu » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:26 pm
Hello,

Yes, I do believe you'd be competitive at Oxford. It would be a good fit, it seems.

Best wishes!

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Editor, Accepted.com
www.accepted.com