Profile Evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by rosh26 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:56 am
Hi,

I am applying early decision to Columbia.

I have a little over 2 years of work experience. I will have 3 years of work experience upon matriculation.

I have worked in marketing for 3 different organizations (about 8 months each)

I currently work in advertising for the New York Times.

I have 3.3 GPA from Rutgers (Marketing Major)

610 GMAT (Q42 V33)

I have a recommendation from an Alumni (my manager from my last company)

Do you think I have a moderate chance of getting in being that I am applying early decision and have an alumni rec. despite my low GMAT?

Also, how do I explain a low GMAT in my application?

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:640

by AleksandrM » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:09 pm
I am no consultant, but I don't think that you should dwell on your GMAT score. Unless there was some sort of unusual situation that caused you to perform at a level that you do not think does you justice - death of a loved one, you lost your arm upon arriving at the testing facility, etc. - I do not think you should explain the score. Instead, show how the score does not do you justice by pointing at some project that you completed in school, which required analytical skill; or maybe you received an A in statistics of calculus; or maybe you had a low SAT score but ended up with a pretty good GPA.

Otherwise, just focus on the essays and recommendation letters.

That is my 2 cents.

Good luck!!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:31 am
Dear rosh26,

I actually think you should address your GMAT score directly. Your GMAT score is below the range for Columbia, so you don't want to make up excuses but acknowledge it is low for the school and then give a wealth of supporting evidence that your GMAT is not an accurate reflection of your abilities. Be sure to highlight your analytical and quantitative skills as evidenced by your transcript and work experience. Lastly, you will want to make sure your essays, resume, interview and recommendations are all outstanding and compelling so the admissions committee will want you in the program.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by rosh26 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:49 pm
Lisa,

How much do you think an Alumni recommendation helps?

Much thanks,
Roshni

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:52 am
Dear Roshni,

An alumni recommendation can be helpful, but it is not significant enough to mitigate a weakness or get you an admit versus reject decision. It is helpful for you that the alumnus is your Manager the recommendation will be viewed with more credibility. However, the fact your Manager is an alumnus will simply help the admissions committee to feel comfortable that you will fit in at the school.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by rosh26 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:45 am
Lisa,

I know you said I should acknowledge my low GMAT score in the optional essay question.

Should I mention that the first time I scored a 480 and would not let the low score get me down and developed a new game plan and was determined to do better on this test? I thus made a 130 point improvement.

Is the improvement something worth mentioning?

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:08 am
It is best to use the optional essay to acknowledge a weakness (like your GMAT score) and then give evidence that you will still succeed in the program. So in your case, you will want to acknowledge your score is below the average but you believe your motivation, work experience and previous academic performance demonstrates you will succeed at Columbia. So the idea is it will focus more on making a case for your candidacy then dwelling on the weakness. The school will see your previous GMAT attempts, so they will know you improved. Whether or not you write about that improvement is up to you and how you structure your essay.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by rosh26 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:56 am
Hi Lisa,

For the Optional Essay for CBS, they ask why I do not have a rec. from my main supervisor.

Is it sufficient to say that my current supervisor is not aware that I am currently pursuing a full time MBA?

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:59 pm
Yes, not wanting to tell your current employer you are applying to business school is a legitimate reason.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me