A foot race had 36 teams of a dozen runners each...

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:6 members
A foot race had 36 teams of a dozen runners each. By noon, 4/9 of the teams had finished the race, and 70 percent of the remaining teams finished the race by one o' clock. How many teams had not finished the race by one o' clock?

A. 1
B. 2
C. 4
D. 6
E. 8

The OA is D.

I don't understand why D is the correct answer. Can any expert explain this PS question please? Thanks.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:13 am
LUANDATO wrote:A foot race had 36 teams of a dozen runners each. By noon, 4/9 of the teams had finished the race, and 70 percent of the remaining teams finished the race by one o' clock. How many teams had not finished the race by one o' clock?

A. 1
B. 2
C. 4
D. 6
E. 8
Since 4/9 of the 36 teams finished by noon, the number of teams finished by noon = (4/9)(36) = 16.
Remaining teams = (total teams in the race) - (teams finished by noon) = 36-16 = 20.
Since 70% of the 20 remaining teams finished by 1pm, the number of teams finished between noon and 1pm = (70/100)(20) = 14.
Thus:
Number of teams not finished by 1pm = (total teams in the race) - (teams finished by noon) - (teams finished between noon and 1pm) = 36 - 16 - 14 = 6.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:12 members

by EconomistGMATTutor » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:45 am
A foot race had 36 teams of a dozen runners each. By noon, 4/9 of the teams had finished the race, and 70 percent of the remaining teams finished the race by one o' clock. How many teams had not finished the race by one o' clock?

A. 1
B. 2
C. 4
D. 6
E. 8

The OA is D.

I don't understand why D is the correct answer. Can any expert explain this PS question please? Thanks.
Hi LUANDATO,
Lets take a look at your question.

Total teams = 36

The question states that "By noon, 4/9 of the teams had finished the race".
Let's find the number of teams that finished the race by noon.

$$=36\times\frac{4}{9}=4\times4=16$$
16 teams had finished the race by noon.

Remaining Teams = 36 - 16 = 20

Next , the question states that " 70 percent of the remaining teams finished the race by one o' clock."
Let's find the number of teams that finished the race by one o' clock.

$$=20\times70\%$$
$$=20\times\frac{70}{100}$$
$$=2\times7=14$$

14 teams finished the race by one o' clock.

We need to find the number of teams that had not finished the race by one o' clock.

$$20\ -\ 14\ =\ 6$$

It means, 6 teams had not finished the race by one o' clock.

Therefore, Option D is correct.

Hope this helps.
I am available if you'd like any follow up.
GMAT Prep From The Economist
We offer 70+ point score improvement money back guarantee.
Our average student improves 98 points.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:51 am
BTGmoderatorLU wrote:A foot race had 36 teams of a dozen runners each. By noon, 4/9 of the teams had finished the race, and 70 percent of the remaining teams finished the race by one o' clock. How many teams had not finished the race by one o' clock?

A. 1
B. 2
C. 4
D. 6
E. 8

The OA is D.

By noon, 5/9 x 36 = 20 teams remained unfinished.

By one o'clock, 0.3 x 20 = 6 teams had not finished the race.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage