The only articles of clothing. . . . .

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

The only articles of clothing. . . . .

by Vincen » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:56 pm
The only articles of clothing in a certain closet are shirts, dresses, and jackets. The ratio of the number of shirts to the number of dresses to the number of jackets in the closet is 9:4:5, respectively. If there are more than 7 dresses in the closet, what is the total number of articles of clothing in the closet?

(1) The total number of shirts and jackets in the closet is less than 30
(2) The total number of shirts and dresses in the closet is 26

The OA is D.

Here I need a lot of help. I got really confused. Experts, can you help me here.
I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Jay@ManhattanReview » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:32 am
Vincen wrote:The only articles of clothing in a certain closet are shirts, dresses, and jackets. The ratio of the number of shirts to the number of dresses to the number of jackets in the closet is 9:4:5, respectively. If there are more than 7 dresses in the closet, what is the total number of articles of clothing in the closet?

The OA is D.

Here I need a lot of help. I got really confused. Experts, can you help me here.
I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
It is given that the ratio of the number of shirts to the number of dresses to the number of jackets in the closet is 9 : 4 : 5, respectively.

Say, the number of shirts = 9x ; the number of dresses = 4x; the number of jackets = 5x. where x is a common factor.

Thus, the total number of clothing = 9x + 4x + 5x = 18x; where 4x > 7 => x > 7/4 => x ≥ 2 since x is a positive integer.

Statement 1: The total number of shirts and jackets in the closet is less than 30.

=> 9x + 5x < 30 => 14x < 30 => x < 2... => x = 1 or 2. Since we know that x ≥ 2, thus x = 2. This means that there are a total of 18x = 18*2 = 36 clothings. Sufficient.

Statement 2: The total number of shirts and dresses in the closet is 26.

=> 9x + 4x = 26 => x = 2. This means that there are a total of 18x = 18*2 = 36 clothings. Sufficient.

The correct answer: D

Hope this helps!

-Jay

Download free ebook: Manhattan Review GMAT Quantitative Question Bank Guide

Locations: New York | Vienna | Kuala Lumpur | Sydney | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced GMAT Prep Advisor! Click here.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:48 pm
Hi Vincen,

This DS question can be solved rather easily with a bit of 'brute force' and some simple arithmetic. To start, it's worth noting that you CANNOT have a 'fraction' of a piece of clothing. We're told that the ratio of shirts:dresses:jackets is 9:4:5, so the number of shirts MUST be a multiple of 9, the number of dresses MUST be an equivalent multiple of 4 and the number of jackets MUST be an equivalent multiple of 5. I'm going to put together a quick list of the first few potential possibilities...

There COULD be...
9 shirts/4 dresses/5 jackets
18 shirts/8 dresses/10 jackets
27 shirts/12 dresses/15 jackets
36 shirts/16 dresses/20 jackets
Etc.

We're also told that there are MORE than 7 dresses. We're asked for the total number of articles of clothing.

(1) The total number of shirts and jackets in the closet is less than 30.

With this Fact, we can look at our notes and find whatever options fit this information (AND include MORE than 7 dresses). There's only one...
Fact 1 is SUFFICIENT.

(2) The total number of shirts and dresses in the closet is 26.

With this Fact, we can again look at the available options. There's only one...
Fact 2 is SUFFICIENT.

Final Answer: D

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:42 am
The only articles of clothing in a certain closet are shirts, dresses, and jackets. The ratio of the number of shirts to the number of dresses to the number of jackets in the closet is 9:4:5, respectively. If there are more than 7 dresses in the closet, what is the total number of articles of clothing in the closet?

Let's start with the ratio: we've got 9n shirts, 4n dresses, and 5n jackets. We also know n is an integer, since we can't have fractional clothes! (Well, tell that to my closet, but hey.) Since we're told in the prompt that 4n > 7, we know n ≥ 2.

S1:

9n + 5n < 30

14n < 30

So n = 0, 1, or 2. We learned above that n ≥ 2, so n = 2 is the only solution: SUFFICIENT!

S2:

9n + 4n = 26

Again n = 2: SUFFICIENT!