OG 38

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

OG 38

by Benni » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:43 am
Bengal - born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration for Mohandas K. Gandhi the person and also as a politician, but Tagore had been skeptical of Gandhi's form of nationalism and his conservative opinions about India's cultural traditions

A. same
B. for Mohandas K.Gandhi as a person and as a politician, but Tagore was also
C. for Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but Tagore was also
D. of Mohandas K.Gandhi as a person and as also a politician, but Tagore was
E. of Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but Tagore had also been

[spoiler]OA : B
[/spoiler]

Now I do understand the OA. But I have a more general question regarding solution B. Is it ever possible that in a "not only...but also" contruction something is written among "but" and "also". Like in the above "but Tagore was also". Or can I always eliminate such as answer choice.

Thanks

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by gmatwar13 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:58 pm
you took it wrong i think

Not only.. but also... always follow each other.. and used to state simultaneously parallel events
here but is coordination conjunction showing contrast..anyway not related to "also". also is like "in addition to" for eg... MK gandhi is also known as "Bapu"..

I hopet it helps

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:59 am
Benni wrote:Bengal - born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration for Mohandas K. Gandhi the person and also as a politician, but Tagore had been skeptical of Gandhi's form of nationalism and his conservative opinions about India's cultural traditions

A. same
B. for Mohandas K.Gandhi as a person and as a politician, but Tagore was also
C. for Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but Tagore was also
D. of Mohandas K.Gandhi as a person and as also a politician, but Tagore was
E. of Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but Tagore had also been

[spoiler]OA : B
[/spoiler]

Now I do understand the OA. But I have a more general question regarding solution B. Is it ever possible that in a "not only...but also" contruction something is written among "but" and "also". Like in the above "but Tagore was also". Or can I always eliminate such as answer choice.

Thanks
B is not about use of NOT ONLY...BUT ALSO idiom. But, IMO your view
Benni wrote: Is it ever possible that in a "not only...but also" contruction something is written among "but" and "also"
is CORRECT

Ron says "NOT ONLY...BUT ALSO idiom we should expect nothing in between BUT & ALSO". We can expect something in between BUT & ALSO only when similar (grammatically similar) thing is there in between NOT & ALSO.

Ron said in one of posts ""not only ... but also" - your detection of parallelism (or lack thereof) should be COMPLETELY mechanical. just look at the words that follow the first part, and look at the words that follow the second part (and DON'T ignore any words). if they don't have the same grammatical structure, then the parallelism is faulty.

By pressing a tiny amount of nitrogen between two diamonds to a pressure of 25 milliion pounds per square inch, scientists not only were able to transform the gas into a solid, but they also created a semiconductor similar to silicon (INCORRECT)[/u]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Benni » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:08 am
Thank you guys. I think I now understand this issue. :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by rsarashi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:57 am
Hello Experts ,

Can you please explain that why option E is wrong?

Please explain.

Thanks.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:30 am
rsarashi wrote:Hello Experts ,

Can you please explain that why option E is wrong?

Please explain.

Thanks.
E in its entirety: Bengal - born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration of Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but Tagore had also been skeptical of Gandhi's form of nationalism and his conservative opinions about India's cultural traditions

First there's an idiom/meaning issue: to have admiration for someone is to admire him. To have the admiration of someone is to have won his approval. In this case, Tagore admires Gandhi, so "admiration for" is more appropriate.

There's also a parallelism issue. If we see the phrase "not only as [noun]" we'd like to see "but also as [noun.]" Here we get "not only as [noun]... but [clause.]"

Last, there's no reason to use the past perfect in the construction had also been, as this action was not completed before something else in the past.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course