Having studied the mystic art of shamanism

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:23 members
Having studied the mystic art of shamanism for seven years, Damian noticed that when the Chant of Rain was recited by a group of shamans during the night of a full moon, the place mentioned in the chant would get rainfall within a week. Damian thus concluded that it would be impossible to summon rain using the chant during the three weeks before the full moon.

Damian's conclusion relies on which of the following assumptions?

A) Shamans only chant their chants on moonlit nights.
B) It only rains after the recitation of the Chant of Rain.
C) The Chant of Rain is only effective when recited under a full moon.
D) The shamans' ability to control weather has not been scientifically proven yet.
E) The chant is ineffective unless a group of experienced shamans recites it.

What is wrong with the other Options? Can some experts explain it?

OA C

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Vincen » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:23 am
Hello lheiannie07.

I think D is not correct because the statement above didn't mention anything about science.

Option A is wrong because the statement never mentioned moonlit. Only full moon.

But, I can not see how to discard options B and E.

Experts, can you give us some help?

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by VJesus12 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:32 pm
Hello.

I think as Vincen. Also, I think option E is wrong because on the argument above, never were mentioned that the group of shamans was experienced.

But, I don't know how to discard option B.

Experts, please give us some help.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:12 members

by EconomistGMATTutor » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:46 am
Conclusion: It would be impossible to summon rain using the chant during the three weeks before the full moon.

Evidence: When the Chant of Rain was recited by a group of shamans during the night of a full moon, the place mentioned in the chant would get rainfall within a week.

The evidence can be thought of as if-then statement. IF they chant on a full moon, THEN rain is summoned. This DOES NOT mean: IF they chant when it's not a full moon, THEN rain is not summoned. And yet that's what the conclusion says. Maybe the chanting works every day of the year.

The assumption, Choice C, says "Actually, it only works when the moon is full." Now we can safely conclude that you can't summon rain when it's not a full moon.

Choice A only discusses when they chant, not whether rain is summoned. Also, "moonlit" is vague.
Choice B doesn't discuss when the chanting takes place. Do they chant only during full moons? Can't tell from this choice.
Choice D is irrelevant to the argument.
Choice E is also irrelevant. It's "noise."
GMAT Prep From The Economist
We offer 70+ point score improvement money back guarantee.
Our average student improves 98 points.