One of the ironies of contemporary history

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:23 members
One of the ironies of contemporary history is that legitimate democratic processes have been exploited for the creation of anti-democratic regimes and when they promulgated and enforced laws denying the right to non-violent political opposition.

A. that legitimate democratic processes have been exploited for the creation of anti-democratic regimes and when they promulgated and enforced laws denying the right to non-violent political opposition

B. that legitimate democratic processes have been exploited for the creation of anti-democratic regimes and for the promulgation and enforcement of laws denying the right to non-violent political opposition

C. the exploitation of legitimate democratic processes to create anti-democratic regimes and the promulgation and enforcement of laws denying the right to non-violent political opposition

D. that legitimate democratic processes have been exploited for the creation of anti-democratic regimes as well as the promulgation and enforcing of laws denying the right to non-violent political opposition

E. how legitimate democratic processes have been exploited for the creation of anti-democratic regimes and their promulgating laws that deny the right to non-violent political opposition and enforcing them

What Option will give us the intended meaning? Please help me on this experts?

OA B

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Vincen » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:50 am
Experts, I can not find the mistake in option A. Why it is wrong?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:12 members

by EconomistGMATTutor » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:04 pm
Hello!

This is an example of using parallel format to list two different effects or reasons for an action:

Action: democratic processes were exploited
Why were they exploited?:
FOR the creation of anti-democratic regimes
and
FOR the promulgation and enforcement of laws denying the right to non-violent political opposition

The problem with answer A is that instead of using "for," they use "when," which suggests the exploiting happened at the same time as the enforcement of laws - not as a later result of the exploitation. Therefore, answer B gives us the correct intended meaning.

I hope this helps! I'm available if you'd like any follow up.
GMAT Prep From The Economist
We offer 70+ point score improvement money back guarantee.
Our average student improves 98 points.

Followed by:23 members

by BTGmoderatorDC » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:20 am
EconomistGMATTutor wrote:Hello!

This is an example of using parallel format to list two different effects or reasons for an action:

Action: democratic processes were exploited
Why were they exploited?:
FOR the creation of anti-democratic regimes
and
FOR the promulgation and enforcement of laws denying the right to non-violent political opposition

The problem with answer A is that instead of using "for," they use "when," which suggests the exploiting happened at the same time as the enforcement of laws - not as a later result of the exploitation. Therefore, answer B gives us the correct intended meaning.

I hope this helps! I'm available if you'd like any follow up.
Thanks a lot!