OG question - comparison

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

OG question - comparison

by Mo2men » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:34 am
Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.

A. Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.

B. Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses.

C. Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, new small businesses are not subject to the same applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity as established big businesses.

D. Because new small businesses are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to them in the same way as to established big businesses.

E. New small businesses are not subject to the applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity in the same way as established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.

[spoiler]OA:D[/spoiler]

Why choice C & E are wrong???
[/u]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:07 pm
Mo2men wrote:Why choice C & E are wrong???
to be subject to X means to be bound by X.
the applicability of X means the relevance of X in terms of its ability to be applied.

C and E: Small businesses are not subject to the applicability of formulas.
Conveyed meaning:
Small businesses are not bound by the relevance of formulas.
This meaning is nonsensical.
How can a business be bound by a relevance?
Eliminate C and E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:06 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Mo2men wrote:Why choice C & E are wrong???
to be subject to X means to be bound by X.
the applicability of X means the relevance of X in terms of its ability to be applied.

C and E: Small businesses are not subject to the applicability of formulas.
Conveyed meaning:
Small businesses are not bound by the relevance of formulas.
This meaning is nonsensical.
How can a business be bound by a relevance?
Eliminate C and E.
Dear Mitch,

In the OA, can you please the implied ellipses in the comparison part? is it as follows:

formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to them in the same way as [formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity apply] to established big businesses.

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:42 am
Mo2men wrote:Dear Mitch,

In the OA, can you please the implied ellipses in the comparison part? is it as follows:

formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to them in the same way as [formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity apply] to established big businesses.

Thanks
Correct!
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3