People tend to estimate the likelihood of an . . .

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
People tend to estimate the likelihood of an event's occurrence according to its salience; that is, according to how strongly and how often it comes to their attention.
By placement and headlines, newspapers emphasize stories about local crime over stories about crime elsewhere and about many other major events.

It can be concluded on the basis of the statements above that, if they are true, which of the following is most probably also true?

(A) The language used in newspaper headlines about local crime is inflammatory and fails to respect the rights of suspects.

(B)The coverage of international events in newspapers is neglected in favor of the coverage of local events.

(C) Readers of local news in newspapers tend to overestimate the amount of crime in their own localities relative to the amount of crime in other places.

(D) None of the events concerning other people that are reported in newspapers is so salient in people's minds as their own personal experiences.

(E) The press is the news medium that focuses people's attention most strongly on local crimes.

The OA is C.

Experts I need help here. How can I solve this CR question?

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Vincen » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:09 pm
I already noticed why options B and E are wrong.

But, I still need some help to determine why C is the correct answer. Any help?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:12 members

by EconomistGMATTutor » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:28 am
This question asks you for something that is most likely true -- a conclusion that can be drawn from the evidence.

The evidence: 1) People estimate the likelihood of an event's occurrence according to how strongly and how often it comes to their attention.
2) Newspapers emphasize stories about local crime over stories about crime elsewhere and about many other major events.

Someone picks up their local paper and sees prominent stories about local crimes. Stories about crimes elsewhere are not as prominent. This emphasis in the paper on local crime is done intentionally, according to (2) above.. The person reading the paper thinks, "Wow, with all this local crime I'm reading about, it must be a common occurrence around here." That's because of (1) above. This person has a distorted view of how much local crime there is. There could be twice as much crime in a city 500 miles away, but the reader is not aware of this.

That's Choice C.

I'm available for any follow-up questions.
GMAT Prep From The Economist
We offer 70+ point score improvement money back guarantee.
Our average student improves 98 points.