Columnist: Almost anyone can be an expert. . .

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Columnist: Almost anyone can be an expert. . .

by Vincen » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:22 am
Columnist: Almost anyone can be an expert, for there are no official guidelines determining what an expert must know. Anybody who manages to convince some people of his or her qualifications in an area-whatever those may be-is an expert.

The columnist's conclusion follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?

(A) Almost anyone can convince some people of his or her qualifications in some area.
(B) Some experts convince everyone of their qualification in almost every area.
(C) Convincing certain people that one is qualified in an area requires that one actually be qualified in that area.
(D) Every expert has convinced some people of his or her qualifications in some area.
(E) Some people manage to convince almost everyone of their qualifications in one or more areas.

OA is A.

This CR questions are so hard to me. Can any expert help me, so I can understand.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:14 am
Vincen wrote:Columnist: Almost anyone can be an expert, for there are no official guidelines determining what an expert must know. Anybody who manages to convince some people of his or her qualifications in an area-whatever those may be-is an expert.

The columnist's conclusion follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?

(A) Almost anyone can convince some people of his or her qualifications in some area.
(C) Convincing certain people that one is qualified in an area requires that one actually be qualified in that area.
(D) Every expert has convinced some people of his or her qualifications in some area.
(E) Some people manage to convince almost everyone of their qualifications in one or more areas.
Premise: Anybody who manages to convince some people of his or her qualifications in an area is an expert.
Conclusion: Almost anyone can be an expert.

Apply the NEGATION TEST.
When the correct answer choice is negated, the conclusion will be invalidated.

A, negated:
Almost no one can convince some people of his or her qualifications in some area.
Here, almost NO ONE can convince some people of his or her qualifications and thus be deemed an expert, invalidating the conclusion that almost anyone can be an expert.
Since the negation of A invalidates the conclusion, A is an assumption: a statement that MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion to hold.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Vincen wrote:Columnist: Almost anyone can be an expert, for there are no official guidelines determining what an expert must know. Anybody who manages to convince some people of his or her qualifications in an area-whatever those may be-is an expert.

Premise: Anybody who manages to convince some people of his or her qualifications in an area is an expert.

Apply the NEGATION TEST.

A, negated:
Almost no one can convince some people of his or her qualifications in some area.
Here, almost NO ONE can convince some people of his or her qualifications and thus be deemed an expert, invalidating the conclusion that almost anyone can be an expert.
Since the negation of A invalidates the conclusion, A is an assumption: a statement that MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion to hold.

The correct answer is A.
Dear Mitch,
How can negation help to eliminate E?
How to negate E? Should It be:
No one manages to convince almost everyone of their qualifications in one or more areas.

thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:37 am
Mo2men wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Apply the NEGATION TEST.

A, negated:

The correct answer is A.
Dear Mitch,
How can negation help to eliminate E?
How to negate E? Should It be:
No one manages to convince almost everyone of their qualifications in one or more areas.

thanks
E, negated:
No people manage to convince almost everyone of their qualifications in one or more areas.
Here, it remains possible for almost anyone to be an expert, since an expert is anybody who manages to convince SOME PEOPLE of his or her qualifications; it is not necessary that ALMOST EVERYONE be convinced.
Since the negation of E does not invalidate the conclusion that almost anyone can be an expert, eliminate E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3