Elite Official Revision SC Q # 25

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

Elite Official Revision SC Q # 25

by richachampion » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:34 am
The first trenches cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but independently of the more celebrated city-states of southern Mesopotamia, in what is now southern Iraq.

A. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but

B. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arose simultaneously but

C. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously but

D. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence of centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arising simultaneously but

E. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arose simultaneously with but
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:35 am
Please discuss the tenses → were arising Vs arose

why is tense of continuity not preferred here over the simple past?

Can we also discuss evidence for / evidence of / evidence that in terms of their idiomatic existence?

According to the Ron Purewal:

"evidence for" → This is used for some argument or position, not for some thing that once existed.
R I C H A,
[email protected]

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:35 am
OA : E
R I C H A,
[email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:52 am
richachampion wrote:The first trenches cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but independently of the more celebrated city-states of southern Mesopotamia, in what is now southern Iraq.

A. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but

B. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arose simultaneously but

C. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously but

D. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence of centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arising simultaneously but

E. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arose simultaneously with but
For the sentence to parallel/logical, we need simultaneously with but independently of. ("Simultaneously" and "independently" are adverbs, while "with" and "of" are prepositions, giving us the construction: adverb + preposition but adverb + preposition)

Eliminate B, C, and D.

The easiest way to eliminate A is to ask what "that" refers to. The verb with "that" is "were," indicating that we want a plural antecedent. The closest plural antecedent is "Northern regions," and this wouldn't make much sense.

As for continuous past vs simple past, continuous past would be used for an activity that happened continuously over some duration in the past, while simple past connotes that the activity happened at some point in the past. "A" seems to make it sound as though these societies "were arising simultaneously" for some duration, but then they stopped arising at the same time. Whereas in "E" it sounds as though the two events simply happened at the same time.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member

xx

by richachampion » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:03 am
thanks. very crisp and precise analysis.

Can we also discuss evidence for / evidence of in terms of their idiomatic existence?

"evidence for" → This is used for some argument or position, not for some thing that once existed.

But I didn't completely understand the above.
R I C H A,
[email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:17 pm
richachampion wrote:thanks. very crisp and precise analysis.

Can we also discuss evidence for / evidence of in terms of their idiomatic existence?

But I didn't completely understand the above.
That certainly seems right to me. Consider the following sentences:

"The gun is a damning piece of evidence for the prosecution." (Whom is the evidence for? The prosecution.)

However, if we swapped "of" for "for" we'd change the meaning. "The gun is a damning piece of evidence of the prosecution." Now it sounds as though the gun is evidence that the prosecution exists.

Similarly:

"Can you provide evidence for your assertion that Tim is guilty?" (What are you providing evidence for? Your assertion/claim that Time is guilty.)

Contrast the above with: "Can you provide evidence of your assertion that Tim is guilty?" Now it sounds as though we want proof that you made an assertion.

So if we're trying to communicate that there's evidence that something exists, we'd use "evidence of." (Or "evidence that")

But if we're trying to find evidence to support a claim, we'd write "evidence for."
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:36 am
Sir, I took a couple of days to understand, but still, couldn't understand why the past continuous tense is wrong. After all, civilizations wouldn't have evolved in a day, but in a continuity of many years.

So, I couldn't understand why the past continuous tense is wrong as it doesn't conveys a nonsensical meaning.
R I C H A,
[email protected]