Fantastic Official CR 2

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

Fantastic Official CR 2

by richachampion » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:25 am
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment for a certain disease. The drug now most commonly prescribed for the disease occasionally has serious side effects such as seizures; in field tests, the new drug's side effects, though no worse than mild nausea, turned out to be much more frequent. Nevertheless, the new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment, since _____.

A)people who experience nausea are prone to discontinue use of the new drug prematurely
B)It is possible that the drug now most commonly prescribed has side effects that have not yet been attributed to it
C)other drugs for the disease have typically been prescribed only for patients allergic to the most commonly prescribed drug
D)people who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again
E)there is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

xxxx

by richachampion » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:28 am
I would like to discuss both the option D and option E.

The official answer is E.

Why not D?
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:51 am
richachampion wrote:Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment for a certain disease. The drug now most commonly prescribed for the disease occasionally has serious side effects such as seizures; in field tests, the new drug's side effects, though no worse than mild nausea, turned out to be much more frequent. Nevertheless, the new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment, since _____.

A)people who experience nausea are prone to discontinue use of the new drug prematurely
B)It is possible that the drug now most commonly prescribed has side effects that have not yet been attributed to it
C)other drugs for the disease have typically been prescribed only for patients allergic to the most commonly prescribed drug
D)people who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again
E)there is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea
Premise: While the most commonly prescribed drug occasionally has serious side effects, the worst -- although much more frequent -- side effect of the new drug is mild nausea.
Conclusion: The new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment.

To strengthen the conclusion, the correct answer choice must show that the new drug is preferable to the most commonly prescribed drug.

E: There is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea.
Here, it is easy to prevent the mild nausea brought on by the new drug, STRENGTHENING the conclusion that the new drug is preferable to the most commonly prescribed drug, which can cause seizures.

The correct answer is E.

D: People who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again.
This option has no bearing on whether the new drug is preferable to the most commonly prescribed drug.
Eliminate D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:08 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
richachampion wrote:Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

Premise: While the most commonly prescribed drug occasionally has serious side effects, the worst -- although much more frequent -- side effect of the new drug is mild nausea.
Conclusion: The new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment.

To strengthen the conclusion, the correct answer choice must show that the new drug is preferable to the most commonly prescribed drug.

E: There is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea.
Here, it is easy to prevent the mild nausea brought on by the new drug, STRENGTHENING the conclusion that the new drug is preferable to the most commonly prescribed drug, which can cause seizures.

The correct answer is E.

D: People who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again.
This option has no bearing on whether the new drug is preferable to the most commonly prescribed drug.
Eliminate D.
Dear Mitch,

1- Can you please explain what choice E means?

2- I'm confused about the question type? is not the above question of 'fill the blank' type that needs to be completed by what 'must be true'?

thanks for your support

GMAT Instructor

Fantastic Official CR 2

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:25 am
Mo2men wrote:Dear Mitch,

1- Can you please explain what choice E means?
According to the OA:
A medication that prevents nausea can be obtained without a prescription.
This medication can be taken in conjunction with the new drug, eliminating the new drug's only side effect (nausea).
2- I'm confused about the question type? is not the above question of 'fill the blank' type that needs to be completed by what 'must be true'?

thanks for your support
The new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment, since _____.
Here, the blue portion is a conclusion that must be supported by whatever statement is inserted in the blank.
Thus, this is a STRENGTHEN CR.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:05 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: The new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment, since _____.
Here, the blue portion is a conclusion that must be supported by whatever statement is inserted in the blank.
Thus, this is a STRENGTHEN CR.
Dear Mitch,
In many cases of this question 'fill in the blank' you negated the OA to prove if the conclusion fail. Can we do the same here? or do we treat it as normal Strengthen question where we DO not negate OA?

I hope you please clarify this crucial point.

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

Fantastic Official CR 2

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:41 am
Mo2men wrote:Dear Mitch,
In many cases of this question 'fill in the blank' you negated the OA to prove if the conclusion fail. Can we do the same here? or do we treat it as normal Strengthen question where we DO not negate OA?

I hope you please clarify this crucial point.

Thanks
I would not apply the negation test to a CR that ends with since + BLANK.
However, if a fill-in-the-blank CR asks not for a strengthener but for an INFERENCE, then the negation test can be used:
Each species of moth has an optimal body temperature for effective flight, and when air temperatures fall much below that temperature, the moths typically have to remain inactive on vegetation for extended periods, leaving them highly vulnerable to predators. In general, larger moths can fly faster than smaller ones and hence have a better chance of evading flying predators, but they also have higher optimal body temperatures, which explains why ______.

A. large moths are generally able to maneuver better in flight than smaller moths
B. large moths are proportionally much more common in warm climates than in cool climates
C. small moths are more likely than large moths to be effectively camouflaged while on vegetation
D. large moths typically have wings that are larger in proportion to their body size than smaller moths do
E. most predators of moths prey not only on several different species of moth but also on various species of other insects
Here, the correct answer will not support the passage.
Just the opposite: the PASSAGE must explain why the correct ANSWER is true.
Thus, the correct answer will be not a strengthener but an inference: a statement that must be true, given the information in the passage.
For this reason, the negation test can be used to determine the correct answer.
When the correct answer is negated, the passage will be contradicted.

According to the passage, a moth with a high body temperature -- such as a large moth -- is unable to fly in cool temperatures and thus is vulnerable to predators.
B, negated:
Large moths are proportionally much more common in cool climates than in warm climates.
This negation contradicts the passage's contention that a large moth in a cool climate will be especially vulnerable to predators.
Since the negation of B contradicts the passage, B is a valid inference: a statement that must be true, given the information in the passage.

The correct answer is B.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3