1998 saw several new ventures promoting online distance

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:750
1998 saw several new ventures promoting online distance learning both at the college and graduate level, but also faculty members in large numbers began questioning whether the computer screen was an adequate replacement for the classroom.

(A) 1998 saw several new ventures promoting online distance learning both at the college and graduate level, but also faculty members in large numbers began
(B) In 1998 several new ventures were promoting online distance learning for both college-and for graduate-level courses, but it was also a year for a large number of faculty members who began
(C) With several new ventures promoting online distance learning both for college and graduate courses in 1998, it was also a year when a large number of faculty members had begun
(D) Although 1998 saw several new ventures promoting online distance learning for both college- and graduate-level courses, it was also a year when a large number of faculty members began
(E) Several new ventures were promoting online distance learning in 1998, at both the college level as well as the graduate, but it was also a year for faculty members to begin in large numbers

It took me 2.25 mins to solve it correctly. How could have I solved it quicker?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:59 pm
Nina1987 wrote:1998 saw several new ventures promoting online distance learning both at the college and graduate level, but also faculty members in large numbers began questioning whether the computer screen was an adequate replacement for the classroom.

(A) 1998 saw several new ventures promoting online distance learning both at the college and graduate level, but also faculty members in large numbers began
(B) In 1998 several new ventures were promoting online distance learning for both college-and for graduate-level courses, but it was also a year for a large number of faculty members who began
(C) With several new ventures promoting online distance learning both for college and graduate courses in 1998, it was also a year when a large number of faculty members had begun
(D) Although 1998 saw several new ventures promoting online distance learning for both college- and graduate-level courses, it was also a year when a large number of faculty members began
(E) Several new ventures were promoting online distance learning in 1998, at both the college level as well as the graduate, but it was also a year for faculty members to begin in large numbers

It took me 2.25 mins to solve it correctly. How could have I solved it quicker?
If we try to understand the meaning of the sentence, we can sense a contrast here. So the the correct sentence should convey this.
Of the given options, only Option D conveys the contrast. This will help you to arrive at the answer pretty quickly and is a testimonial of why understanding the meaning is important.

Correct Option: D

Also, you can eliminate the options based on the parallelism of the idiom "both X and Y"

by Needgmat » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:28 pm
Hi Optimus ,

Can you please advise in OA what IT refers to?

Using ALSO after BUT, can be the reason to eliminate option A

Please help me on this .

Many thanks in advance.

Kavin

Followed by:5 members

by Anaira Mitch » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:28 pm
Needgmat wrote:Hi Optimus ,

Can you please advise in OA what IT refers to?

Using ALSO after BUT, can be the reason to eliminate option A

Please help me on this .

Many thanks in advance.

Kavin
IT refers to 1998 and option A is wrong because idiomatic usage is "both X and Y".