GMAT Study Progression

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT Study Progression

by JeffHauptschein » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:36 pm
Just want to throw this thought I had out there. I recognize that I am weakest in Quant thus far. So, I am starting my preparation with 60-Days plan w/ GMATPrepNow videos. Today I completed Day 5 - Arithmetic Videos #1-16. After each video, I have been going down and trying the supplemental problems (the ones that say the difficulty level 350-500 .. 500-650 .. 650-800 ).

A lot of us can agree that the material in the Arithmetic module is quite easy, yet, when I review the material I am getting stuck on a lot of these supplemental questions. I am noticing that the problems that are used in the videos are easier than the supplemental problems.

Are the supplemental problems meant to be done after each video, or meant to be returned to later on in studies? I am getting a little discouraged when I review a topic via video and take hand notes on it and then I get the questions wrong that follow.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:59 pm
Hi Jeff,

You've touched on an important aspect of the GMAT: the actual concepts that are tested are pretty straightforward (fractions, decimals, even/odd integers, averages, etc.). HOWEVER, the test-makers can take super-easy concepts and create questions that would stump many math majors.

So, the trap is to assume that, since the concepts are easy, the related practice questions must be equally as easy. For an ANY concept tested, there will be super hard questions, super easy questions and everything in between.

That said, many questions test a multiple concepts. So, if a particular question is giving you considerable difficulties, you might want to save that question for a later date.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com