Help: best resources for Quant prep

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Help: best resources for Quant prep

by dperezc » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:06 pm
Hi -

I want to apply to B-School this year and haven't studied math in 10 years. I plan to do the GMAT on November, but in the last Veritas Prep exam I scored 540 and my goal is 710.

I know I should start studying again Math, do you have any suggestion in terms of self-study materials I can use to improve?

Thanks,
Dave

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:10 pm
Hi Dave,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on this CAT (the 540)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by dperezc » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:56 am
Hi Rich -

Thank you for your reply, here are my answers:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? R/ I wouldn't say studied, but I have some Math concepts and practiced questions from Veritas, let's say for two months, but not really committing time as I should (4 hours per week).
2) What study materials have you used so far? R/ Veritas question bank, Veritas free iPad videos, OG iPad App.
3) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on this CAT (the 540)? R/ Quant 35 with 29% percentile. Verbal 30 with 60% percentile.

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School? R/ Late November 2017.
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to? R/ BYU.

I appreciate your honest feedback, I know my scores were terrible.

Dave

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:33 pm
Hi Dave,

From what you've described, your studies so far sound more like you've been sporadically working through random subjects/questions than following any specific Study Plan. To hit your score goal, that will have to change - you will likely need at least 3 months of consistent, guided study to raise your score to a 710+. That having been said, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

It's unlikely that BYU 'requires' a 710+, so it's important to realize that the score that you "want" and the score that you "need" (to get into BYU) are likely not the same thing.

1) Have you taken any other practice CATs besides the one that you mentioned? If you have, then how did you score on those CATs?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:00 pm
I've also noticed over the years that students who start out above average (or better) in verbal and average (or worse) in math tend to improve much more than students who start strong in math and weak in verbal, so take heart! You can definitely improve, it's just a matter of acquainting yourself with the material and drilling the basics of mathematical thinking.

by dperezc » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:49 pm
You are correct, I've been studying sporadically without a clear focus or a firm set of materials.

To answer your questions:

1) No, I haven't taken any other practice CAT.
2) I believe I can commit to 10-12 hours per week.

What materials would you recommend for self-study?

Thanks,
David
[email protected] wrote:Hi Dave,

From what you've described, your studies so far sound more like you've been sporadically working through random subjects/questions than following any specific Study Plan. To hit your score goal, that will have to change - you will likely need at least 3 months of consistent, guided study to raise your score to a 710+. That having been said, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

It's unlikely that BYU 'requires' a 710+, so it's important to realize that the score that you "want" and the score that you "need" (to get into BYU) are likely not the same thing.

1) Have you taken any other practice CATs besides the one that you mentioned? If you have, then how did you score on those CATs?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

by dperezc » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:51 pm
Matt@VeritasPrep wrote:I've also noticed over the years that students who start out above average (or better) in verbal and average (or worse) in math tend to improve much more than students who start strong in math and weak in verbal, so take heart! You can definitely improve, it's just a matter of acquainting yourself with the material and drilling the basics of mathematical thinking.
Thanks, Matt, I hope that turns out to be true. What specific materials would you recommend for me to being studying Math for GMAT? I am referring to specific books, etc.

I appreciate your help and encouragement.
David

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:22 am
Hi Dave,

The 710 score is about the 90th percentile, meaning that 90% of Test Takers will never score that high regardless of how long they study or the number of times that they take the GMAT. To hit that score, you will need to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. By extension, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich