CR assumption - Adoption

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

CR assumption - Adoption

by kamalakarthi » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:07 pm
Can you please help me on this assumption question. This is from MCAT test,

My line of analysis :: - Conclusion ::There is no basis for accusation against us of favourtism

Premise::8/10 babies are went to parents who were known to one of the staff.

I am not able to understand why B is the right choice even though rest looks wrong for sure but I am not able to choose B as well.

I see all the information in B is already part of premise.

of those ...for adoption, this we already know from the passage.

most were personally acquainted with staff before application process...This also is known from the passage.

Further if I negate:: Most were personally NOT acquainted with staff before application process...Then also it makes sense that there is no favouritism

What am I missing here? Can you help me.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:49 am
kamalakarthi wrote:Can you please help me on this assumption question. This is from MCAT test,

My line of analysis :: - Conclusion ::There is no basis for accusation against us of favourtism

Premise::8/10 babies are went to parents who were known to one of the staff.

I am not able to understand why B is the right choice even though rest looks wrong for sure but I am not able to choose B as well.

I see all the information in B is already part of premise.

of those ...for adoption, this we already know from the passage.

most were personally acquainted with staff before application process...This also is known from the passage.

Further if I negate:: Most were personally NOT acquainted with staff before application process...Then also it makes sense that there is no favouritism

What am I missing here? Can you help me.
We are told in the argument that 8 of 10 babies went to parents who were acquainted with the adoption staff before they initiated the adoption process. And we are told that those parents were well-qualified. What we aren't told, is that those parents who were acquainted with the staff comprised a large percentage of the total well-qualified pool of parents. In other words, we need to know if there were a lot of parents who were well-qualified who weren't well-acquainted with the staff. Because if there were, then the fact that the parents who were well-acquainted were the ones whose applications were successful suggests that they received preferential treatment.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course