Harvard education options

This topic has expert replies
Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

Harvard education options

by DanaJ » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:13 pm
Source: Veritas Prep

Harvard University's business school has more than one graduate doctoral degree program. The DBA (Doctor of Business Administration) programs are administered by Harvard Business School and the Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) Programs are offered jointly with Harvard's Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, which is part of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS). At Harvard, only the FAS can confer the title of Doctor of Philosophy.

Which of the following statements logically follows from the information above ?

(A) A student who wants to maximize chances for acceptance to a program can apply to both the DBA and to the Ph.D. programs at Harvard.

(B) Applicants to Harvard's joint Ph.D. Programs are not eligible for the Doctor of Business Administration programs.

(C) Some students in the Business Economics Ph.D. Program at Harvard will not have their degrees granted by the faculty of Harvard Business School.

(D) The Faculty of Arts and Sciences at Harvard can only grant the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree.

(E) The fields of study in which students can pursue the DBA or a Ph.D. at Harvard Business School are similar but the degree requirements are distinct.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:580

by beat_gmat_09 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:35 pm
Harvard University's business school has more than one graduate doctoral degree program. The DBA (Doctor of Business Administration) programs are administered by Harvard Business School and the Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) Programs are offered jointly with Harvard's Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, which is part of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS). At Harvard, only the FAS can confer the title of Doctor of Philosophy.

Phew, what a question, eliminated C,D and E still doubtful about A and B.
C - Only FAS grants Ph.D (Ph.D in any subject is granted by FAS, am i right ? ), not unless the students fail !
D - FAS only grants Ph.D, only is interchanged in the question and stimulus.
E - Goes far.

B - I'm confused about "administers" and "offers" in the stimulus.
A - Don't think this as a contender, again confused with "administers" and "offers", I'm left with B.
Hope is the dream of a man awake

Followed by:19 members
GMAT Score:760

by rkanthilal » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:15 pm
I agree, this one is tough...

I was thinking C or E.

(A) "A student who wants to maximize chances for acceptance to a program can apply to both the DBA and to the Ph.D. programs at Harvard." Incorrect. The passage does not discuss the possibility of applying to both programs.

(B) "Applicants to Harvard's joint Ph.D. Programs are not eligible for the Doctor of Business Administration programs." Incorrect. The passage does not imply that a person can only be eligible for one program.

(C) "Some students in the Business Economics Ph.D. Program at Harvard will not have their degrees granted by the faculty of Harvard Business School." Maybe Correct. The passage states that "only the FAS can confer the title of Doctor of Philosophy". I believe this would imply that "all students in the Business Economics Ph.D. Program at Harvard will not have their degrees granted by the faculty of Harvard Business School".

However, this answer says "some students" rather than "all students". If all students will not have their degrees granted by the faculty of Harvard Business School, then I guess it is technically true that some students will not. As long as we don't make any assumptions as to what happens with the other students not included in the "some" I think this answer is technically correct.

(D) "The Faculty of Arts and Sciences at Harvard can only grant the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree." Incorrect. The passage states that the Ph.D. can only be granted by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. This is not the same as "the FAS can only grant this degree".

(E) "The fields of study in which students can pursue the DBA or a Ph.D. at Harvard Business School are similar but the degree requirements are distinct." Maybe Correct. The question stem asks for "Which of the following statements logically follows from the information above"? From the given statements I suppose we can infer that since the DBA is administered by Harvard Business School and the Ph.D. is jointly administered by Harvard Business School and Harvard's Graduate School of Arts and Sciences that there is some similarity in the fields of study. Additionally, since only the FAS can confer the title of Doctor of Philosophy we can infer that the degree requirements are different for the Ph.D. than for the DBA.

It seems like we have to read way too much into the statements to make this answer work.

I don't feel great about C or E. If I had to pick one I would probably go with C.

I would be interested in hearing some expert opinions on this one...

by missionGMAT007 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:59 pm
IMO C

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:40 pm
This was a tough one...Remember to attack by eliminating those that "could be false."

Any more answers before I post the explanation?
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Followed by:5 members

by pesfunk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:14 pm
DanaJ wrote:Source: Veritas Prep

Which of the following statements logically follows from the information above ?

(A) A student who wants to maximize chances for acceptance to a program can apply to both the DBA and to the Ph.D. programs at Harvard. - Not necessary

(B) Applicants to Harvard's joint Ph.D. Programs are not eligible for the Doctor of Business Administration programs. - Not necessary

(C) Some students in the Business Economics Ph.D. Program at Harvard will not have their degrees granted by the faculty of Harvard Business School. - None of the Ph.D can be granted by HBS

(D) The Faculty of Arts and Sciences at Harvard can only grant the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree. - I feel is the correction option

(E) The fields of study in which students can pursue the DBA or a Ph.D. at Harvard Business School are similar but the degree requirements are distinct. - Nothing has been mentioned about it

by jaxis » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:57 am

(A) A student who wants to maximize chances for acceptance to a program can apply to both the DBA and to the Ph.D. programs at Harvard.(No thing about eligibility is given.We dont know wether he is eligible for both courses. So, if he is eligible for one and applies for both he is no more likely to get selected that when he applies to the course he is eligible for)

(B) Applicants to Harvard's joint Ph.D. Programs are not eligible for the Doctor of Business Administration programs.
(Nothing about the requirements has been mentioned here. So we cant be sure)

(C) Some students in the Business Economics Ph.D. Program at Harvard will not have their degrees granted by the faculty of Harvard Business School.
(At Harvard, only the FAS can confer the title of Doctor of Philosophy. This means faculty of Harvard Business School Cannot confer the PH.D. So all PH.D students at harward will not have their degrees granted by Faculty of harward . All includes some so, this is the correct answer.)

(D) The Faculty of Arts and Sciences at Harvard can only grant the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree.
(Faculty of Arts and Sciences at Harvard may grant some degrees other than the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree. We can be sure as its not mentioned.)

(E) The fields of study in which students can pursue the DBA or a Ph.D. at Harvard Business School are similar but the degree requirements are distinct.
(Again nothing is given about course content or pre-requisites.)

TX
Ismail.

Community Manager
Followed by:24 members

by shovan85 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:09 am
DanaJ wrote:Source: Veritas Prep

(A) A student who wants to maximize chances for acceptance to a program can apply to both the DBA and to the Ph.D. programs at Harvard.

IMO A. Too difficult I can discard all options :(
A: Left out after POE
B: Nothing mentioned about eligibility criteria.
C: We do not know if Business Economics Ph.D. degree is conferred by FAS.
D: This means FAS cannot grant anything else but DOP.
E: The field of study and requirements are out of scope.
If the problem is Easy Respect it, if the problem is tough Attack it

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:02 am
OA is C.

Really nice job getting submitting your answers and explanations...Jaxis gave a particularly good explanation! Right on the money.

Official Explanation:

This is an Inference question, so the best approach is to eliminate those choices that could be false. This is a tricky question because it looks like they all could be false!!

Answer (A) is not necessarily true. The passage provides no information about probability for acceptance not about whether applicants are allowed to apply to both types of programs. Similarly, answer (B) is not necessarily true. The passage provides no information about probability for acceptance not about whether applicants are allowed to apply to both types of programs. Answer (D) is incorrect because the passage provides no information about what, if any, degrees other than the Ph.D the FAS can grant. Answer (E) is incorrect because the passage provides no information about the similarities or differences between the two programs except for the fact that the degrees are granted by two different sets of faculty. Answer (C) is the right choice because the "some" in the answer includes the possibility of "all" and, according to the passage, all students in the Ph.D. Program can only have their degrees granted by the FAS, not by the faculty of the Business School.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:06 am
David@VeritasPrep wrote:OA is C.

Really nice job getting submitting your answers and explanations...Jaxis gave a particularly good explanation! Right on the money.

Official Explanation:

This is an Inference question, so the best approach is to eliminate those choices that could be false. This is a tricky question because it looks like they all could be false!!

Answer (A) is not necessarily true. The passage provides no information about probability for acceptance not about whether applicants are allowed to apply to both types of programs. Similarly, answer (B) is not necessarily true. The passage provides no information about probability for acceptance not about whether applicants are allowed to apply to both types of programs. Answer (D) is incorrect because the passage provides no information about what, if any, degrees other than the Ph.D the FAS can grant. Answer (E) is incorrect because the passage provides no information about the similarities or differences between the two programs except for the fact that the degrees are granted by two different sets of faculty. Answer (C) is the right choice because the "some" in the answer includes the possibility of "all" and, according to the passage, all students in the Ph.D. Program can only have their degrees granted by the FAS, not by the faculty of the Business School.
Hi David,How can C be the answer.
C is talking about the phD in Business Economics and the stimulus talks abt phD in Philosophy.

Community Manager
Followed by:24 members

by shovan85 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:48 am
mundasingh123 wrote: Hi David,How can C be the answer.
C is talking about the phD in Business Economics and the stimulus talks abt phD in Philosophy.
EXact doubt dude!!

I also thought so and got it wrong, but in fact the Ph.D., the abbreviated word itself means "Doctor of Philosophy" :)

Like MBA = Masters of Business, Ph.D. = Doctor of Philosophy

Thus Passage does not say about Ph.D. in Philosophy but just Ph.D. in any Subject

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ph.D.
If the problem is Easy Respect it, if the problem is tough Attack it

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:01 am
I think what Shovan85 says should help. I see now that the wording is a little confusing. All Ph.D. degrees are granted by FAS in this question. A Ph.D. is a very general type of degree. It is not specific like an MBA but is more general as in a "Masters" degree in general. A Ph.D. can be in anything just as a Masters can be in anything.

I am not sure if Shovan85 and I have answered the question?

Veritas Prep Reviews

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:09 am
David@VeritasPrep wrote:I think what Shovan85 says should help. I see now that the wording is a little confusing. All Ph.D. degrees are granted by FAS in this question. A Ph.D. is a very general type of degree. It is not specific like an MBA but is more general as in a "Masters" degree in general. A Ph.D. can be in anything just as a Masters can be in anything.

I am not sure if Shovan85 and I have answered the question?
Yes i can now accept C as a probable answer but how abt A.
I know that my chances of studying at Harward do increase if i apply to all of its programs.
If a college has 2 programs, then my chances of being accepted into a program if i apply to 2 programs are double my chances if i apply only to 1

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by tgou008 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:53 am
Yes, I too found the wording in C a little confusing and thus eliminated it; As there was no mention in the passage specifically about an economics PHD.

I could eliminate B and D easily. However, A C and E were not soo straight forward; each could be technically accurate but I thought they were all irrelevant / out of scope.

In the end I picked E, but was definitely unsure.

This was tough. What difficulty level do you think it is?

Thanks

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sreerac » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:21 pm
Harward has >1 pgm. DBA - self and PHD -with Arts which pis part of
FAS. FAS can only give PHD.

Before going into answers, my thinking was:
1. Harvard cannot give PHD.
2. PHD can be obtained only by a joint pgm.

Now let's see what answer choices say:
A. Not given in passage
B. Not said so
C. Could be
D. only title..but degree is shared.so not this
E. first part is not given in passage.

So ans C?