Gmat prep 740

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Gmat prep 740

by Ruca » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:07 am
Hello,

I took the first gmat prep test today and got 740. 50 Quant en 41 Verb.
I was astounded by the result (at first I thought the software just showed me an example of what the score result would look like). I didn't know what to expect but I thought I would have gotten a score between 500 and 600 or maybe 650 at most. Especially since I thought I was doing quite bad during the exam. I got 7 out of 12 correct in IR, 26 out of 37 in Quant and 29 out of 41 in Verb. So in that respect I thought that would lead to a much lower score. What I don't really understand is how I could get a score of 740 while the questions didn't realy look that difficult. The only source where I got practice questions is the official Gmat guide and the questions I got in the test didn't look more difficult than those. I thought I read that the official guide normally only helps you to get a score up to 700 and you should turn to other books for andvanced practice.
I didn't even do a lot of practice in the official guide (maybe 30-40% of the questions)

I was planning to give myself at least 2 or 3 months of preparation and would buy some other guides but from the result of the test it looks like I'm way further than I thought. So I don't know exactly what I will do now

I guess I don't really have a question. I'm just really surprised..

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:46 am
Congrats on the strong performance. I would still study. There is a lot that you can learn and try to improve your score into the high 700s - That can open a lot of doors (including a way to make some money to pay for school...).
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Ruca » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:07 am
'There is a lot that you can learn and try to improve your score into the high 700s - That can open a lot of doors (including a way to make some money to pay for school...).'

You mean like trying to get a scholarship? Any examples?

And just to be sure, the gmat prep software doesn't make mistakes does it? Does it look normal to get 740 with 7 out of 12 correct in IR, 26 out of 37 in Quant and 29 out of 41 in Verb?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:01 am
Excellent practice test results, Ruca.
This is exactly why I encourage students to take a practice test early in their studies. Many times in this forum, people will ask about what resources they need and how much prep time is required to get a 700+ score. My advice is always "take a practice test to see where you currently stand."

If your goal is to get a 700+ score, then you might want to take one more practice test (to rule out the possibility that you simply guessed well :-)), and then schedule your exam. If your target score is in the high 700's, then you might need a little extra practice.

Either way, this is a great start!

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by VijitSingh » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:26 am
Ruca wrote:Hello,

I took the first gmat prep test today and got 740. 50 Quant en 41 Verb.
I was astounded by the result (at first I thought the software just showed me an example of what the score result would look like). I didn't know what to expect but I thought I would have gotten a score between 500 and 600 or maybe 650 at most. Especially since I thought I was doing quite bad during the exam. I got 7 out of 12 correct in IR, 26 out of 37 in Quant and 29 out of 41 in Verb. So in that respect I thought that would lead to a much lower score. What I don't really understand is how I could get a score of 740 while the questions didn't realy look that difficult. The only source where I got practice questions is the official Gmat guide and the questions I got in the test didn't look more difficult than those. I thought I read that the official guide normally only helps you to get a score up to 700 and you should turn to other books for andvanced practice.
I didn't even do a lot of practice in the official guide (maybe 30-40% of the questions)

I was planning to give myself at least 2 or 3 months of preparation and would buy some other guides but from the result of the test it looks like I'm way further than I thought. So I don't know exactly what I will do now

I guess I don't really have a question. I'm just really surprised..
Hi Ruca,

I experienced the exact same thing. 740 (49Q 42V)! Really surprised because I had expected it to be much harder.

I know it's been 5 years since you posted this, but may I ask what was your final GMAT score? And When did you finally take it since the GMATprep test?