Predictiveness of Practice Tests...to be continued soon!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I'm taking the GMAT in 11 days so getting down to the wire now!

I just started studying using Magoosh 11 days ago, so am halfway through my studying period and hoping for good results.

I've found it interesting to see the different scores I've had on practice CATs...or really an expected progression with a big outlier. Everyone seems to say that the GMATPrep tests are most representative of an expected score and I certainly hope so!

My progression went:

January - took the Manhattan Prep test with no preparation, minimal reading about the format. Score was 720 (Q47, V42)

July 3 - GMATPrep test 1 after a few days studying. Score 740 (Q47, V45). Also IR 8
July 8 - Magoosh test. Score 660 (Q45, V36)
July 11 - GMATPrep test 2. Score 760 (Q47, V48). Also IR 8.

All tests were taken under similar conditions without any pausing, long breaks, or other departures from the real conditions.

The Magoosh verbal score definitely seems like a big outlier and their estimated score ranges (after answering 60% of their quant question bank and 40% of the verbal) also put me lower than all the other tests I've taken (Q42-45 and V35-42 for estimated overall range 640-710 based on their chart). I'm obviously hoping that theirs doesn't prove to be predictive of my actual score.

That being said I do want to say that I've found their math lessons and problems very helpful to my studying...somehow it doesn't seem to be showing up yet in an improvement in my scores but overall I do feel more confident on many of the questions and am hoping that with some luck and a few more days of studying it'll pay off on test day!

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:57 am
islander19 wrote:I'm taking the GMAT in 11 days so getting down to the wire now!

I just started studying using Magoosh 11 days ago, so am halfway through my studying period and hoping for good results.

I've found it interesting to see the different scores I've had on practice CATs...or really an expected progression with a big outlier. Everyone seems to say that the GMATPrep tests are most representative of an expected score and I certainly hope so!

My progression went:

January - took the Manhattan Prep test with no preparation, minimal reading about the format. Score was 720 (Q47, V42)

July 3 - GMATPrep test 1 after a few days studying. Score 740 (Q47, V45). Also IR 8
July 8 - Magoosh test. Score 660 (Q45, V36)
July 11 - GMATPrep test 2. Score 760 (Q47, V48). Also IR 8.

All tests were taken under similar conditions without any pausing, long breaks, or other departures from the real conditions.

The Magoosh verbal score definitely seems like a big outlier and their estimated score ranges (after answering 60% of their quant question bank and 40% of the verbal) also put me lower than all the other tests I've taken (Q42-45 and V35-42 for estimated overall range 640-710 based on their chart). I'm obviously hoping that theirs doesn't prove to be predictive of my actual score.

That being said I do want to say that I've found their math lessons and problems very helpful to my studying...somehow it doesn't seem to be showing up yet in an improvement in my scores but overall I do feel more confident on many of the questions and am hoping that with some luck and a few more days of studying it'll pay off on test day!
It's true that the GMATPrep tests are the best predictive benchmark of how you're likely to perform on test day, so judging by those scores, you're in excellent shape. (Notice that the big difference in the scores between the official and the prep scores is in the verbal portion, which is notoriously difficult to model.) You might want to think about purchasing an Exam Pack or two from mba.com for a little additional practice over the next week and a half.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:56 am
Since all but one of your CATs - including the GMATPrep ones - were above 700, I think it would be safe to assume that the 660 was a fluke. Whether that's due to the test itself or whether you were having an "off day"... impossible for me to tell. But you should feel confident that you have the ability to score in the mid-700s, so don't worry on test day.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:25 am
Hi islander19,

GMAC has publicly stated that the score that you earn on your Official GMAT is within +-30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in your practice CAT scores, most of the data points out that you're scoring right around 740 (+- a few points). Keep in mind that the accuracy of CAT results depends heavily on how YOU choose to take the CATs. The more realistic and 'test-like' you make those experiences, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. If you deviate from the standard Test Day 'event' (skipping sections, pausing the CAT, taking it at home, taking it at a different time of day from your Official Test time, etc.), then your scores can deviate too.

All things being equal, it certainly appears that you're a really strong critical thinker, so I think that you would have a very good chance to score at a really high level on the Official GMAT. Keep in mind that at higher-and-higher score levels, the GMAT becomes really 'sensitive' to little mistakes (especially on 'gettable' questions), so you have to make sure that you keep a high level of 'precision' in your work. If you move too quickly, do work 'in your head' or make other careless mistakes, then you could see a notable score drop.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by islander19 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:29 pm
Thanks all for the input!

It's good to hear some confirmation of what I'm hoping will be the case for the actual exam.

I've ordered the extra practice questions from mba.com and am working through those. Unfortunately I'm very busy from now until test day so my practice time is limited to 30-60 minutes per day - no time to another full practice test.

I'm not feeling worried at all about the verbal - I always finish with 10+ minutes extra time so have realized that I can really relax, read everything twice if I'm not positive, and take my time making sure I'm 100% sure on every response (incidentally, in my last practice test, I was near 100% certain for all but one question. That one I had narrowed down to a 50/50 guess and it was my only wrong answer. Go figure.).

I do however certainly need more practice on the quant so focusing on that to make sure I'm as well prepared as possible to tackle every question (my last practice test I got the first three questions and the last two wrong! Luckily I did very well in the middle).

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:41 pm
islander19 wrote: I've ordered the extra practice questions from mba.com and am working through those. Unfortunately I'm very busy from now until test day so my practice time is limited to 30-60 minutes per day - no time to another full practice test.
If you have limited time between now and test day - but you've already gotten great scores on practice tests - don't spend all of your remaining time doing practice questions. In fact, you should spend most of your remaining time just REVIEWING. Analyze the questions you've gotten wrong so far, and where there might be patterns in your mistakes. Think about patterns in how the test structures questions and sets traps. Spend more time redoing old problems than doing new ones.

Your goal: get a deep understanding of your own strengths and weaknesses, and a deep understanding of your "opponent." It doesn't really help much to just get a few dozen more practice questions right!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Ceilidh Erickson

by islander19 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:27 pm
ceilidh.erickson wrote:In fact, you should spend most of your remaining time just REVIEWING.
Thank you very much for the advice! That certainly makes sense and I have noticed patterns in the question types and topics where I struggle so I'll try to look through everything and focus on ensuring I can deal with everything as quickly and efficiently as possible on test day. Although I'd certainly be happy with a 760 of any breakdown, I'm hoping I can get my Quant score up to at least a 48 or 49 which I do think is achievable with a bit more practice.

by islander19 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:02 pm
Thanks all for the advice and encouragement!

Test is done and it went even better than I hoped.

I came away with a 780 (Q50, V47) along with IR 8. Just hoping for at least 5+ on the AWA in a few weeks but I'm pretty sure I did well there.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by ceilidh.erickson » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:19 pm
islander19 wrote:Thanks all for the advice and encouragement!

Test is done and it went even better than I hoped.

I came away with a 780 (Q50, V47) along with IR 8. Just hoping for at least 5+ on the AWA in a few weeks but I'm pretty sure I did well there.
AMAZING!! Congratulations!!

After getting a 780 + 8IR, I doubt there's anything you could get on the AWA that would cause an admissions committee to bat an eye. Now all that's left is putting together a killer application!

... and if you want a great side-gig while in business school, and if you have teaching experience, you should consider applying to Manhattan Prep with that score! ;)
Ceilidh Erickson