Beat by the GMAT and my application was rejected, what next?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
My rejection email:
The Admissions Committee has carefully reviewed your application and noted that your score on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) was not within the profile of our currently enrolled students and we recommend that you retake either exam to strengthen your application file. We will keep your application on file for one year. If you decide to retake the exam, please reach out to our admission staff after you have done so and we would be more than happy to re-consider your file for the term you applied for; or another term.
Is it safe to assume that everything about my application was fine except my scores?

Average scores for accepted students are 583.
I scored a 480 (5 AWA, 5 IR, 29 Q, 27 V).

I knew this was going to happen but still applied anyways to make the deadline in time.

How should I plan my retake?
What should my study plan look like?

I've already tried Kaplan classes and private tutoring.
They were definitely helpful, but not sure I got the most use out of them.

I am taking the test with 50% extra time and an extra break accommodations.
I have adult ADHD and learning/retaining new concepts take more time for me than your average test taker.

I plan on scheduling my third retake in November/December 2017. Is that too much time dedicated and should I schedule something sooner?

My goal score would be 600.

Thanks!

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:20 am
pkaynj wrote:My rejection email:
The Admissions Committee has carefully reviewed your application and noted that your score on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) was not within the profile of our currently enrolled students and we recommend that you retake either exam to strengthen your application file. We will keep your application on file for one year. If you decide to retake the exam, please reach out to our admission staff after you have done so and we would be more than happy to re-consider your file for the term you applied for; or another term.
Is it safe to assume that everything about my application was fine except my scores?

Average scores for accepted students are 583.
I scored a 480 (5 AWA, 5 IR, 29 Q, 27 V).

I knew this was going to happen but still applied anyways to make the deadline in time.

How should I plan my retake?

I have adult ADHD and learning/retaining new concepts take more time for me than your average test taker.

I plan on scheduling my third retake in November/December 2017. Is that too much time dedicated and should I schedule something sooner?

Thanks!
With respect to the other elements of your application, it's hard to say what the school thinks. Some schools will be very explicit with a candidate they like, but whose GMAT score falls short of what they'd want to see. It's possible you only received this note because they were interested in you. But it's also possible that this note is automatically sent to everyone who falls short of a certain benchmark. In other words, they may be waiting to evaluate the rest of your application until they see the requisite test score.

As for your timeframe, that's not unreasonable - November is only four months away. I'd suggest putting together a 3-month plan, knowing that you have the flexibility to reschedule if you're not making the kind of progress you'd like to see, or to retake the exam if you're consistently hitting your goal score on practice tests, but you have an off-day when you take the official exam.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:00 am
pkaynj wrote: How should I plan my retake?

Thanks!
I would recommend finding a tutor who specializes / has experience working with students with learning differences. You can call prep companies and ask, or you can search online. I would definitely recommend finding someone with an advanced degree in Education or Psychology. A typical GMAT instructor might not know how to craft a learning plan to your particular needs.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education