SC question

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

SC question

by vijayashree » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:31 am
Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the many new satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces to detailed scrutiny from space.

A. satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
B. satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact
C. satellites, part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting
D. satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:25 am
Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the many new satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces to detailed scrutiny from space.

A. satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
B. satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact
C. satellites, part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting
D. satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces
Here, the intended meaning is as follows:
Of THE MANY NEW SATELLITES THAT ARE part of a particular effort, the AM-1 IS ONE.
Since the many new satellites ARE part of a particular effort, only the red portions in D and E make the intended meaning clear:
The AM-1 is one of THE MANY NEW SATELLITES THAT ARE PART of a particular effort.
Eliminate A, B and C.

D: an effort...that has subjected the interactions
This meaning is nonsensical.
It is not possible that AN EFFORT has subjected the interactions.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:59 am
Hi GMATGuruNY - in GMAT, if there is a construction such as X of Y that IS/ARE... then what THAT should refer to here - X or Y ?

And how to determine the same -- is it to be on the basis of MEANING or CONTEXT ?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Sun Light » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:57 am
vijayashree wrote:Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the many new satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces to detailed scrutiny from space.

A. satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
B. satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact
C. satellites, part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting
D. satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces

'is' follows that-incorrect.

'which is' is incorrect.

The many new satellites 'are' part of 15 years effort. Meaning clarity issue: the sentence tells us that "satellites are part of 15 years". Literal meaning of the sentence is weird.

In the correct answer E, this mistake is corrected by 'that'. 'that' in E is correctly introduces an idea: "satellites that are part of a 15-year effort".

Meaning: It's not the 'years' that has 'subjected the interactions', but it's the effort that has 'subjected the interactions'.

'that has subjected' refers to years, and in that too its incorrect. 'Years' are plural and 'have' instead of 'has' should be used.

by Sun Light » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:59 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Hi GMATGuruNY - in GMAT, if there is a construction such as X of Y that IS/ARE... then what THAT should refer to here - X or Y ?

And how to determine the same -- is it to be on the basis of MEANING or CONTEXT ?

I think 'that' should refer to the noun closest to it...Confirmation from the experts will be helpful.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:32 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Hi GMATGuruNY - in GMAT, if there is a construction such as X of Y that IS/ARE... then what THAT should refer to here - X or Y ?

In most cases:
that + SINGULAR VERB will serve to refer to the nearest preceding singular noun.
that + PLURAL VERB will serve to refer to the nearest preceding plural noun.
But there are exceptions.

SC105 in the OG13:
Marconi conceived of the radio as a A TOOL for private conversation THAT COULD SUBSTITUTE FOR THE TELEPHONE.
Here, that serves to refer not to private conversation (the nearest preceding noun) but to A TOOL.
Conveyed meaning:
Marconi conceived of the radio as a A TOOL THAT COULD SUBSTITUTE FOR THE TELEPHONE.
The intended referent for that is made clear from CONTEXT.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:46 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

In most cases:
that + SINGULAR VERB will serve to refer to the nearest preceding singular noun.

SC105 in the OG13:
Marconi conceived of the radio as a A TOOL for private conversation THAT COULD SUBSTITUTE FOR THE TELEPHONE.
Here, that serves to refer not to private conversation (the nearest preceding noun) but to A TOOL.
Conveyed meaning:
Marconi conceived of the radio as a A TOOL THAT COULD SUBSTITUTE FOR THE TELEPHONE.
@ GMATGuruNY - So,in GMAT, this sort of EXCEPTION also holds good in case of [X of Y that IS/ARE...] construction. Correct ?

And in this SC, we've an EXCEPTION as you mentioned above. Here,that doesn't refer to the nearest preceding singular noun, but rather refers to the nearest preceding PLURAL noun because of the context/meaning (and hence, the VERB changes accordingly from SINGULAR in the original sentence to the PLURAL in the OA). Right ?

Correct me please if wrong!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by src_saurav » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:14 am
One of the many....should be singular ...isn't it ?..then why is are correct.PLease explain this concept.

by Sun Light » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:55 am
src_saurav wrote:One of the many....should be singular ...isn't it ?..then why is are correct.PLease explain this concept.
Note the three set-up below:-
1) One of the noun + that/who + plural
Ex:- One of the actors who are married is coming to town.
Ex:- He is one of my friends who are teachers.

2) One of the noun + singular
Ex:- One of the actors is coming to town.
Ex:- One of my friends is a teacher.

Notice: what the presence & the absence of 'that/who' does in the both the above examples.
3) "The" only one of the noun + "singular" (irrespective of the who/that, the sentence should always be singular.

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:42 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

In most cases:

SC105 in the OG13:
Conveyed meaning:
@ GMATGuruNY - So,in GMAT, this sort of EXCEPTION also holds good in case of [X of Y that IS/ARE...] construction. Correct ?

And in this SC, we've an EXCEPTION as you mentioned above. Here,that doesn't refer to the nearest preceding singular noun, but rather refers to the nearest preceding PLURAL noun because of the context/meaning (and hence, the VERB changes accordingly from SINGULAR in the original sentence to the PLURAL in the OA). Right ?

@ GMATGuruNY - could you please share your feedback on the above concerns ?

Look forward to your reply.

Much thanks in advance!

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:06 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
In most cases:

SC105 in the OG13:
Conveyed meaning:

Your understanding seems correct.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

by richachampion » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:40 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

In most cases:

SC105 in the OG13:
Conveyed meaning:
sir, do you remeber any exception of this rule from the official questions that we can take note of?
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)