Can someone please provide a solution
Attachments
DS.PNG

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:29 pm
Each of the 25 balls in a certain box is either red, blue, or white and has a number from 1 to 10 painted on it. If one ball is to be selected at random from the box, what is the probability that the ball selected will either be white or have an even number painted on it?

(1) The probability that the ball will both be white and have an even number painted on it is 0.
(2) The probability that the ball will be white minus the probability that the ball will have an even number painted on it is 0.2.
Target question: What is the value of P(white or even)?

To solve this, we'll use the fact that P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A & B)
So, P(white or even) = P(white) + P(even) - P(white & even)

Statement 1: P(white & even) = 0
We can add this to our probability equation to get: P(white or even) = P(white) + P(even) - 0
Since we don't know the value of P(white) and P(even), we cannot determine the value of P(white or even)
NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: P(white) - P(even)= 0.2
We have no idea about the sum of P(white) and P(even), and we don't know the value of P(white & even)
NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined:
Given P(white) - P(even)= 0.2 does not tell us the individual values of P(white) and P(even), and it doesn't tell us the value of P(white) + P(even).

So, since we can't determine the value of P(white) + P(even) - P(white & even), the statements combined are NOT SUFFICIENT.

Answer: E

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by hoppycat » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:41 am
I'm getting murdered by probability questions. Maybe its because I prefer using the counting strategy and I thought you can usually use either strategy but it seems that this doesn't work a lot of times. Can we use counting to solve this?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:47 pm
hoppycat wrote:I'm getting murdered by probability questions. Maybe its because I prefer using the counting strategy and I thought you can usually use either strategy but it seems that this doesn't work a lot of times. Can we use counting to solve this?
For probability problems involving a small set, I often count rather than using a formula. In this problem, we need to recognize from the question stem that a ball could either be white, have an even number on it, or both. Essentially, we need to know exactly how many of each ball we have, and which numbers are painted on which. From there, we can absolutely just count.

(1) This tells us that there are no balls that are BOTH even and white. But we still have no idea how many out of 25 are white, and how many are even. Insufficient.

(2) This one is going to be harder to count, because it's giving us a DIFFERENCE between probabilities, and not an actual number. But we can test some out:

Scenario 1:
15/25 white balls (p = 0.6), 10/25 evens (p = 0.4). Overall probability of white or even = 25/25 = 1.0

Scenario 2:
10 white (p = 0.4), 5 even (p = 0.2). Overall probability of white or even = 15/25 = 0.6.

Two different answers to the question --> not sufficient.

(1 & 2) Both of the scenarios we tested for statement 2 fit statement 1, so putting the statements together does not give us additional information.

The answer is E.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:12 pm
hoppycat wrote:I'm getting murdered by probability questions. Maybe its because I prefer using the counting strategy and I thought you can usually use either strategy but it seems that this doesn't work a lot of times. Can we use counting to solve this?
It might also be because probability is hard to teach and whatever resource you started with didn't give you a solid grounding in the basics. If you have time, check out Freund's Introduction to Probability. Unlike most books titled 'An Introduction to Probability' (because of my day job, I have an entire shelf of them), it doesn't require a strong math background: it takes you from square one through a lot of very practical applications (that will be relevant in your business school curriculum too!) in a very gentle way.