Taking the GMAT in UK vs. US?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Taking the GMAT in UK vs. US?

by twfisher10 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:27 pm
Hi Everyone -

First time poster here but long time observer, this forum has been so incredibly helpful in motivating me to keep preparing and after my first GMAT test today (had done partial practices but not the full length with essay + IR, shame shame I know), so I was hopeful to get some advice on next steps.

I scored a 600 (Q31; V41) so while I'm enthused about the verbal score, the quant is how shall I say... Underwhelming? I know I should take it again but have a slight complication in my scheduling. I will be working in the UK starting Monday through the end of the month. Are there any complications I will face in taking the test in a different country (I'm based in the US)? Are there any differences in the exam (ie., needing to use British English vs. US English or anything like that)?

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:57 am
twfisher10 wrote:Hi Everyone -

First time poster here but long time observer, this forum has been so incredibly helpful in motivating me to keep preparing and after my first GMAT test today (had done partial practices but not the full length with essay + IR, shame shame I know), so I was hopeful to get some advice on next steps.

I scored a 600 (Q31; V41) so while I'm enthused about the verbal score, the quant is how shall I say... Underwhelming? I know I should take it again but have a slight complication in my scheduling. I will be working in the UK starting Monday through the end of the month. Are there any complications I will face in taking the test in a different country (I'm based in the US)? Are there any differences in the exam (ie., needing to use British English vs. US English or anything like that)?
The beauty of standardized tests is that they're, well, standardized. So you don't have to worry about the distinction between British and American grammar.

Just make sure that when you register again, you get all of your biographical info right. I once had a student in a similar predicament, and when he registered for the test the second time, he carelessly left out some piece of his bio. Until it was sorted out, (and eventually it was) he was banned from sitting for the exam. Best to proofread carefully and avoid the headache.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course