Profile Evaluation Request

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Profile Evaluation Request

by hwang327 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:21 pm
Hi,

I am looking to apply to Wharton/Booth/CBS/Kellogg this fall and would like some help/direction on how to start prepping for the applications.

I will also list below my current credentials. Love it if someone can give me some feedback on how competitive I am on paper if I were to apply to my target schools as is.

- Currently an investment analyst at a hedge fund in Canada. Previous experience in sell-side finance (mostly in energy/oil and gas)
- I graduated 4 years ago from a semi-target in Canada. 3.65/4.00 GPA in finance
- CFA
- GMAT 720/800 (IR7) ---> retaking this June, hoping to get a 760.
- Not alot of extracurricular since I graduated 4 years ago.
- Chinese-Canadian citizen, fluent English.

If I were to apply to the schools without retaking the gmat, am I competitive?

Thanks,

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:20 am
Hi there! In a nutshell, I'd say you're "somewhat competitive". Should you have a higher GMAT? Probably yes, because a lot of applicants with your professional profile come in right about 720. But even more important, in my opinion, is LEADERSHIP: how much leadership have you been able to take on in the workplace? (in your industry, team leadership is pretty rare at your level of seniority). In university?
You mention that your community service is currently low. This might be something to take serious action about, not only because service is important to top MBA programs, but because it's a great place to build leadership experience outside of the workplace.
So, my recommendations would be:
1) retake the GMAT
2) find something to lead in the workplace, however unofficial
3) connect or reconnect with a community service organization that is important to you, and do the maximum: recruit volunteers, lead teams, make stuff happen.
A strong leadership profile and slightly higher GMAT will make you a strong contender for the top business schools on your list.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by hwang327 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:27 am
Thanks Margaret. I have recently retaken the GMAT (760!) and am currently in the process of looking for volunteer activities to join again. Wish me luck :)