Rye sown in the fall and plowed

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Rye sown in the fall and plowed

by rsarashi » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:00 am
Rye sown in the fall and plowed into the soil in early spring leaves a residue that Is highly effective at controlling broad-leaved weeds, but unfortunately for only about forty-five days. No major agricultural crop matures from seed in as little as forty-five days. Synthetic herbicides, on the other hand, although not any longer-lasting, can be reapplied as the crop grows. Clearly, therefore, for major agricultural crops, plowing rye into the soil can play no part in effective weed control.

The argument is most vulnerable to the objection that it fails to

(A) consider that there might be minor, quick-growing crops that do mature in forty-five days or less
(B) identify any alternative method of weed control that could be used instead of the method it rejects
(C) distinguish among the various kinds of synthetic herbicides
(D) allow for the possibility of combining the two weed-control methods it mentions
(E) allow for the possibility that plants other than rye, handled the same way, might have the same effect.

OAD

Please explain every option.

Please help.

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:22 am
rsarashi wrote:Rye sown in the fall and plowed into the soil in early spring leaves a residue that Is highly effective at controlling broad-leaved weeds, but unfortunately for only about forty-five days. No major agricultural crop matures from seed in as little as forty-five days. Synthetic herbicides, on the other hand, although not any longer-lasting, can be reapplied as the crop grows. Clearly, therefore, for major agricultural crops, plowing rye into the soil can play no part in effective weed control.

The argument is most vulnerable to the objection that it fails to

(A) consider that there might be minor, quick-growing crops that do mature in forty-five days or less
(B) identify any alternative method of weed control that could be used instead of the method it rejects
(C) distinguish among the various kinds of synthetic herbicides
(D) allow for the possibility of combining the two weed-control methods it mentions
(E) allow for the possibility that plants other than rye, handled the same way, might have the same effect.
The correct answer must show that -- for major agricultural crops -- plowing rye into the soil CAN play a part in effective weed control.

Only D offers such a role:
the possibility of combining the two weed-control methods.
Here, if plowing rye into the soil can be combined with applying synthetic herbicides, then plowing rye into the soil CAN play a part in effective weed control.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3