Fossils of feathered dinosaurs - GMAT prep Exam pack 1

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Unearthed in China, fossils of feathered dinosaurs offer the most dramatic evidence yet discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds.

1. offer the most dramatic evidence yet discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds
2. offer evidence more dramatic than what has yet been discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds
3. offer more dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship than any yet discovered between dinosaurs and birds
4. have offered the most dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds that have yet been discovered
5. have offered more dramatic evidence than any that has yet been discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Mon May 23, 2016 10:41 am
prata wrote:Unearthed in China, fossils of feathered dinosaurs offer the most dramatic evidence yet discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds.

1. offer the most dramatic evidence yet discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds
2. offer evidence more dramatic than what has yet been discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds
3. offer more dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship than any yet discovered between dinosaurs and birds
4. have offered the most dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds that have yet been discovered
5. have offered more dramatic evidence than any that has yet been discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds
Let us look at the meaning of the sentence.
It says that the fossils discovered are the most dramatic evidence. Hence we need a superlative degree here.

Therefore we can eliminate options 2, 3 and 5

Out of 1 and 4, in 4 "that" incorrectly points towards birds instead of fossils.

Correct Option: 1

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by aji12 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:03 am
I feel "that" should ideally modify evidence rather than fossils. As modifier "discovered" modifies evidence. Please correct me if I am wrong.

OptimusPrep wrote:
prata wrote:Unearthed in China, fossils of feathered dinosaurs offer the most dramatic evidence yet discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds.

Let us look at the meaning of the sentence.
It says that the fossils discovered are the most dramatic evidence. Hence we need a superlative degree here.

Therefore we can eliminate options 2, 3 and 5

Out of 1 and 4, in 4 "that" incorrectly points towards birds instead of fossils.

Correct Option: 1

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat May 13, 2017 2:31 am
Unearthed in China, fossils of feathered dinosaurs offer the most dramatic evidence yet discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds.

A. offer the most dramatic evidence yet discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds

B. offer evidence more dramatic than what has yet been discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds

C. offer more dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship than any yet discovered between dinosaurs and birds

D. have offered the most dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds that have yet been discovered

E. have offered more dramatic evidence than any that has yet been discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds
It is illogical to compare a group MEMBER to the ENTIRE GROUP.
Incorrect: John is stronger than any of the boys in his class.
Since John is one of the boys in his class, the sentence above implies that John is stronger than HIMSELF -- an illogical comparison.
Correct: John is stronger than any of the OTHER boys in his class.

B: evidence more dramatic that what has yet been discovered
C: more dramatic evidence than any yet discovered
E: more dramatic evidence than any that has yet been discovered
Since the phrases in red refer to ALL evidence discovered thus far -- INCLUDING the dramatic evidence offered by fossils unearthed in China -- B, C and E illogically compare the evidence offered by the fossils to ITSELF.
Eliminate B, C and E.

In D, that have yet been discovered seems to be modifying birds (or perhaps dinosaurs and birds).
Not the intended meaning.
The intention here is to discuss EVIDENCE that has been discovered.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gui_guimaraes » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:15 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

A. offer the most dramatic evidence yet discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds

B. offer evidence more dramatic than what has yet been discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds

C. offer more dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship than any yet discovered between dinosaurs and birds

D. have offered the most dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds that have yet been discovered

E. have offered more dramatic evidence than any that has yet been discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds
It is illogical to compare a group MEMBER to the ENTIRE GROUP.
Incorrect: John is stronger than any of the boys in his class.
Since John is one of the boys in his class, the sentence above implies that John is stronger than HIMSELF -- an illogical comparison.
Correct: John is stronger than any of the OTHER boys in his class.

B: evidence more dramatic that what has yet been discovered
C: more dramatic evidence than any yet discovered
E: more dramatic evidence than any that has yet been discovered
Since the phrases in red refer to ALL evidence discovered thus far -- INCLUDING the dramatic evidence offered by fossils unearthed in China -- B, C and E illogically compare the evidence offered by the fossils to ITSELF.
Eliminate B, C and E.

In D, that have yet been discovered seems to be modifying birds (or perhaps dinosaurs and birds).
Not the intended meaning.
The intention here is to discuss EVIDENCE that has been discovered.

The correct answer is A.
What about the split 'offer' vs 'have offered'? Is it a red herring? Tks!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:56 am
gui_guimaraes wrote: What about the split 'offer' vs 'have offered'? Is it a red herring? Tks!
A general truth is something that is true not just at a particular moment but is true IN GENERAL.
Mary plays the saxophone.
Here, the portion in blue expresses a general truth about Mary.
To express a GENERAL TRUTH, we use the simple present tense.

The SC above is intended to express a general truth about the fossils unearthed in China:
They OFFER the most dramatic evidence yet discovered.
For this reason, the simple present tense (offer) seems preferable to the present perfect (have offered).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3