Help on where to start:

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Help on where to start:

by aalobaidy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:36 am
Dear GMAT experts,

I am new to the GMAT i took one CAT and scored 570 Q39/V30 yesterday without prepaeing or even reading what the GMAT is.

There are many resources and training providers i just dont know where to start. I have a 3 months time frame to prepare and I am targeting a 730. I know its a high and ambitious score but this forum had many success stories that made me think i actually can make it.
I am seeking help on where to start and what is a good strategy for a full time working person like me.
Thanks a million.
Ahmad

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:35 am
aalobaidy wrote:Dear GMAT experts,

I am new to the GMAT i took one CAT and scored 570 Q39/V30 yesterday without prepaeing or even reading what the GMAT is.

There are many resources and training providers i just dont know where to start. I have a 3 months time frame to prepare and I am targeting a 730. I know its a high and ambitious score but this forum had many success stories that made me think i actually can make it.
I am seeking help on where to start and what is a good strategy for a full time working person like me.
Thanks a million.
Ahmad
Your plan is a perfectly reasonable one. The next step is to decide which resources you're going to use on your journey. Virtually every company offers free trials so you can take the material for a spin to make sure it's compatible with your learning style before you make a commitment. (Here's our free app with all of our recorded lessons: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gmat-vi ... 60224?mt=8

Work through whatever curriculum you choose, take semi-regular practice tests, and, as you proceed, attempt to distill lessons into digestible takeaways that you keep coming back to until they're second nature. Keep us posted...
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:03 am
Hi aalobaidy,

To start, a 570 is a strong 'baseline' score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores - and you appear to have given yourself a big 'chunk' of potential study time - which is good. It's important to keep in mind that a 730+ score is above the 90th percentile, meaning that over 90% of Test Takers either CAN'T or WON'T do what it takes to score at that level. As you can imagine, most Test Takers can't get to that level by studying on their own, so investing in the right practice materials is key. As such, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some kind (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?
2) Have you scheduled your Official GMAT yet (and if so, then when is it?)?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by aalobaidy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:41 pm
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:
aalobaidy wrote:Dear GMAT experts,

Thanks a million.
Ahmad
Your plan is a perfectly reasonable one. The next step is to decide which resources you're going to use on your journey. Virtually every company offers free trials so you can take the material for a spin to make sure it's compatible with your learning style before you make a commitment. (Here's our free app with all of our recorded lessons: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gmat-vi ... 60224?mt=8

Work through whatever curriculum you choose, take semi-regular practice tests, and, as you proceed, attempt to distill lessons into digestible takeaways that you keep coming back to until they're second nature. Keep us posted...

Dear David,

Than you to take the time to read my post. And for the good advise.

I am on the android side of the world. do you have a link for your app on android play store?

Cheers,
Ahmad

by aalobaidy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:23 pm
[email protected] wrote:Hi aalobaidy,

To start, a 570 is a strong 'baseline' score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores - and you appear to have given yourself a big 'chunk' of potential study time - which is good. It's important to keep in mind that a 730+ score is above the 90th percentile, meaning that over 90% of Test Takers either CAN'T or WON'T do what it takes to score at that level. As you can imagine, most Test Takers can't get to that level by studying on their own, so investing in the right practice materials is key. As such, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some kind (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?
2) Have you scheduled your Official GMAT yet (and if so, then when is it?)?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich
Dear Rich,

To begin with, I love your quote about GMAT assassins being made and not born ;) gives hope for someone like me.

second I would like to answer your questions:

1) I can put 10 hours during the weekdays and 4 hours during the weekend (14 hours per week). I know its not much but I am being honest to myself here. I work in shifts and I am a father since 40 days now :).
2) I did not schedule the test yet. I am trying to set up a study plan. But I feel I should take the test as soon as I finish that plan.
3) I will be applying to business school as soon as I get my GMAT score. but I feel I will be joining the Autumn 2018 semester. (I wish to apply early because you never know what the outcome would be). so I will have time to apply somewhere else if I don't get accepted in the school am targeting.
4) I am currently hoping to get into the masters of finance program in Melbourne school of business leading to a Phd hopefully.

They are trying to raise the bar I guess. they have told me your application will not be looked at if you score below 700 ! and you need 730 above to impress. I am no GMAT expert but from this forum I have learnt how difficult a 730 is. Also,after taking the CAT, I feel that for every individual, there is a maximum score that can be achieved after sufficient preparation but then its the maximum score for that person and he/she wont exceed by farther study.
What i am trying to do here is to figure out:
1) how much time of preparation someone at my level and circumstances requires to reach there.
2) what are the right material/study plan that can get me there in the above time frame.

Thank you for taking the time to read my posts Rich. I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Ahmad

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:36 pm
Hi Ahmad,

If the competitive pool for that Program is so strong, then you do NOT want to 'rush' in your application. Beyond having a competitive GMAT Score, you'll want to make sure that your profile is as strong as it can be AND that you properly 'market yourself' with that application.

Since you clearly have a lot of things going on in your life, you're going to want to be efficient with your studies. Without knowing too much about your ability to learn, or what you're capable of, I would assume that you would need a solid 3 months of consistent, guided study to maximize your improvement. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Tue May 02, 2017 2:38 pm
HI Ahmad,

A 730 is absolutely achievable. The GMAT is highly coachable. Working on your own you'll likely need more time to dedicate towards studying. With a tutor or group, you will maximize your efforts. YOu'll still have work to do and significant practice, it just might streamline your efforts.

By and large, it's true that most students will reach their threshold, however, frankly, you are able to get a perfect to near perfect score with the right guidance and practice.

1) how much time of preparation someone at my level and circumstances requires to reach there.
Likely you should plan on those 3 months and between 10 - 20 hours of homework a week. Yes. Practice. Malcolm Gladwell speaks about the tipping point and when people become 'experts' at things? Well, that' about 10K hours, and you won't make it to that, likely, but you'll get preety close to bing an expert of YOU on teh GMAT. Test Day there should be no surprises.

2) what are the right material/study plan that can get me there in the above time frame.
I just wrote a list of material for someone else on the forum. Knowing how YOU best work through material, is going to help us point you to the best material. What is the breakdown of your diagnostic test that you got the 570 on?

Again: working one-to-one with a tutor will help you get to the score you want with the most streamlined efficient effort.

Keep us posted!
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c