GMAT prep1--Most of the purported health benefits

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants--compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that inhibit the formation of plaque along the body's blood vessels.

A) comes from antioxidants--compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that
B) comes from antioxidants--compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they
C) come from antioxidants--compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and
D) come from antioxidants--compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C and that
E) come from antioxidants--compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they

Source: gmatprep

Option A,B is out ..SVA agreement error..Subject(Most of health benefits) is plural ..It should take plural verb COME.
Option E.
they can refer to antioxidants or compounds..

Option C
I am not able to identify the parallelism or any other error here

Compounds ALSO FOUND IN...and INHIBIT the formation..

Please clarify Option C.Does E have any other error.

Its pretty weird to se DASH in GMAT PREP.I am not sure what its role is.
I am assuming its just a modifier..giving some extra information.
If you want to fly,you have to give up the things that weighs you down!

PS

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:24 am
prabsahi wrote:Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants--compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that inhibit the formation of plaque along the body's blood vessels.

A) comes from antioxidants--compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that
B) comes from antioxidants--compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they
C) come from antioxidants--compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and
D) come from antioxidants--compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C and that
E) come from antioxidants--compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they

Option A,B is out ..SVA agreement error..Subject(Most of health benefits) is plural ..It should take plural verb COME.
Option E.

Option C

Look at choice C in its entirety:

Most of the purported health benefits of tea come from antioxidants--compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and inhibit the formation of plaque along the body's blood vessels.

"And" must connect like forms. Here, we see "and inhibit," so the "and" must be linking a preceding verb to "inhibit." The only preceding verb is "come." So we get the following: Most of the purported health benefits of tea come from anti-oxidants... and inhibit the formation of plaque. The purported health benefits inhibit the formation of plaque? That doesn't make any sense.

Contrast C with the logic and parallelism of D: compounds that are x and that inhibit y. Now the compounds are inhibiting the formation of plaque. This is logical.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by prabsahi » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:20 am
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:
prabsahi wrote:Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants--compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that inhibit the formation of plaque along the body's blood vessels.

Option E.

Option C

Most of the purported health benefits of tea come from antioxidants--compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and inhibit the formation of plaque along the body's blood vessels.

"And" must connect like forms. Here, we see "and inhibit," so the "and" must be linking a preceding verb to "inhibit." The only preceding verb is "come." So we get the following: Most of the purported health benefits of tea come from anti-oxidants... and inhibit the formation of plaque. The purported health benefits inhibit the formation of plaque? That doesn't make any sense.

Contrast C with the logic and parallelism of D: compounds that are x and that inhibit y. Now the compounds are inhibiting the formation of plaque. This is logical.

In option C.
Why cant we say that also found is parallel to inhibit?This is my main confusion.--is it wrong because its ARE+Found --denoting present tense and parallel with INHIBIT....while other options in C and E are just found..say compounds found(past) cannot be parallel to inhibit(present)
I am not sure if I am thinking it right..
Please help..

PS

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:41 am
prabsahi wrote:

Option E.

Option C

In option C.
Why cant we say that also found is parallel to inhibit?This is my main confusion.--is it wrong because its ARE+Found --denoting present tense and parallel with INHIBIT....while other options in C and E are just found..say compounds found(past) cannot be parallel to inhibit(present)
Please help..
"Found" in C is a participle that functions as an adjective modifying "compounds," whereas "inhibit" is a simple present tense verb of which "compounds" is the subject. (The construction "are found" contains the verb "are" + the participle "found." "And" can't be used to connect two different parts of speech.

(It's worth noting that "found" can also be a simple past tense verb. "Dave found a bug in his cereal." The compounds in the previous example are not the agents of the action in the way that Dave is here.)
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by prabsahi » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:51 am
prabsahi wrote:

Option E.

Option C

In option C.
Please help..
"Found" in C is a participle that functions as an adjective modifying "compounds," whereas "inhibit" is a simple present tense verb of which "compounds" is the subject. (The construction "are found" contains the verb "are" + the participle "found." "And" can't be used to connect two different parts of speech.

(It's worth noting that "found" can also be a simple past tense verb. "Dave found a bug in his cereal." The compounds in the previous example are not the agents of the action in the way that Dave is here.)

Thank you so much!!

PS