Modifiers problem....Veritas quesion

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Modifiers problem....Veritas quesion

by Mo2men » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:18 am
Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, communicated their interpretive understanding of the texts they illustrated.

A)Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, communicated

B)Through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks communicated

C)Through their manuscript illuminations, with which they meticulously embellished elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks communicated

D)Meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations communicated

E)Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellished them and communicated

OA: C

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:47 am
Mo2men wrote:Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, communicated their interpretive understanding of the texts they illustrated.

A)Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, communicated

B)Through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks communicated

C)Through their manuscript illuminations, with which they meticulously embellished elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks communicated

D)Meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations communicated

E)Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellished them and communicated
A: Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, communicated
B: Through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks communicated
D: Meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations communicated
In these options, it is not crystal clear whether the phrase in red serves to modify embellishing (the monks were EMBELLISHING through their illuminations) or communicated (the monks COMMUNICATED through their illuminations).
It must be crystal clear what a modifier is modifying.
Eliminate A, B and D.

Within a single clause, forms of the same pronoun must have the SAME REFERENT.
Forms of the third-person plural: they, them, their.
In E, their refers to monks, but them seems to refer to illuminations.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:53 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: D: Meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations communicated
In these options, it is not crystal clear whether the phrase in red serves to modify embellishing (the monks were EMBELLISHING through their illuminations) or communicated (the monks COMMUNICATED through their illuminations).
Thanks Mitch for your explanation.

In Choice D, consider the following version with 'comma'before 'communicated':

D: Meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, communicated

In this case, it is in form 'modifier' +comma+ subject+ comma+ 'modifier'. I think it could be crystal clear? if still not why? I saw some OG where the same 'modifier' +comma+ subject+ comma+ 'modifier' and still clear.

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:15 am
Mo2men wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: D: Meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations communicated

D: Meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, communicated

In this case, it is in form 'modifier' +comma+ subject+ comma+ 'modifier'. I think it could be crystal clear? if still not why? I saw some OG where the same 'modifier' +comma+ subject+ comma+ 'modifier' and still clear.

Thanks
In D, the portion in red is an adverb.
Since this adverb is both PRECEDED by an action (embellishing) and FOLLOWED by an action (communicated), it is unclear which of these two actions is intended to happen through their manuscript illuminations.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:28 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Mo2men wrote:

Thanks
Since this adverb is both PRECEDED by an action (embellishing) and FOLLOWED by an action (communicated), it is unclear which of these two actions is intended to happen through their manuscript illuminations.
I have 3 questions based on your explanation:

1- Isn't illogical to consider that the adverb modifier in red modifies 'embellishing'? It is separated by 'medieval monk' which makes it far from 'embellishing'?

2- Can 2 modifiers in succession modify each other? or can an adverb modifier modify VERB-ing modifier

3- If you change the adverb modifier to appositive modifier or any other modifier to be:

embellishing.........., medieval monk, The Thai who lived in temples, communicated......

Can this version clear with its modifiers?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:32 am
Mo2men wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Mo2men wrote:

Thanks
I have 3 questions based on your explanation:

1- Isn't illogical to consider that the adverb modifier in red modifies 'embellishing'? It is separated by 'medieval monk' which makes it far from 'embellishing'?
Most readers will understand that the modifier in red is intended to modify the following verb.
But the structure in D is not viable.

An introductory VERBing modifier expresses an action concurrent with or directly related to the main verb.
In this respect, its role is adverbial.
Because of this adverbial role, a separate adverbial phrase modifying the main verb may not appear between the VERBing modifier and the main verb.
Consider the following official examples:

Warning that computers in the United States are not secure, the National Academy of Sciences has urged the nation to revamp computer security procedure.
Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal Peru, the Mochica developed their own elaborate society.
Affording strategic proximity to the Strait of Gibraltar, Morocco was also of interest to the French.
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle.
Spanning more than 50 years, Müller's career began in an unpromising apprenticeship.

In none of these OAs does an adverbial phrase modifying the main verb appear between the introductory VERBing modifier and the main verb.
Since D incorrectly positions an adverbial phrase modifying the main verb between an introductory VERBing modifier and the main verb, eliminate D.
2- Can 2 modifiers in succession modify each other? or can an adverb modifier modify VERB-ing modifier
Yes.
An OA in GMATPrep:
Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device.
Here, in 1609 is an adverb serving to modify on hearing, which in turn is an adverb serving to modify built (the main verb).
Thus, one adverb (in 1609) serves to modify another adverb (on hearing).
3- If you change the adverb modifier to appositive modifier or any other modifier to be:

embellishing.........., medieval monk, The Thai who lived in temples, communicated......

Can this version clear with its modifiers?

Thanks
It is permissible for an ADJECTIVAL phrase (such as an appositive) to appear between an introductory VERBing modifier and the main verb.
SC612 in the OG12:
Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya as an achievement, the army of terra-cotta warriors created to protect Qin Shi Huang, China's first emperor, in his afterlife is more than 2,000 years old.
Here, the appositive in blue appears between rivaling (an introductory VERBing modifier) and is (the main verb).

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:30 am
Thanks Mitch for the great explanation above.

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:30 am
Dear Mitch,

In light of your answer of my questions 1 & 2, Why choice A & B wrong? both are adverb phrases could be treated like the example of GMATPrep provided by you. To be more clear:

A: Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, communicated
B: Through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks communicated

the red adverb modifies the 'embellishing' adverb, the same as 'in 1609' modifies 'on hearing'.

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:56 am
Mo2men wrote:Dear Mitch,

In light of your answer of my questions 1 & 2, Why choice A & B wrong? both are adverb phrases could be treated like the example of GMATPrep provided by you. To be more clear:

the red adverb modifies the 'embellishing' adverb, the same as 'in 1609' modifies 'on hearing'.

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks
Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device.
Here, in 1609 (adverb) is positioned between a VERBing (hearing) and its direct object (the that-clause in blue).
As a result, it is crystal clear that in 1609 serves to modify hearing.
No other interpretation is possible.

Here, the adverbs in red are NOT positioned between a VERBing (embellishing) and its direct object (the elaborate calligraphy).
As a result, it is not crystal clear whether these adverbs are intended to modify the following VERBing action (embellishing) or the main verb (communicated).

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:41 am
Hi GMATGuruNY,
Just curious to know whether this is a good GMAT like SC ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:59 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Hi GMATGuruNY,
Just curious to know whether this is a good GMAT like SC ?
The SC above is valid.
It is modeled after SC104 in the OG13:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-13-sc-q-104-t277718.html

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3