Currently 26 billion barrels

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

Currently 26 billion barrels

by atulmangal » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:17 am
Currently 26 billion barrels a year, world consumption of oil is rising at a rate of 2 percent annually.
A. world consumption of oil is rising at a rate of
B. the world is consuming oil at an increasing rate of
C. the world's oil is being consumed at the increasing rate of
D. the rise in the rate of the world's oil consumption is
E. oil is consumed by the world at an increasing rate of

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:27 am
On first take very tempted to choose E , but IMO A.

I knew you wn't ask so easy question :) .
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Fatehdeep Singh » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:32 am
Currently 26 billion barrels a year, world consumption of oil is rising at a rate of 2 percent annually.

A. world consumption of oil is rising at a rate of --- Correct --> Modifier 26 billion barrels a year correctly modifies World consumption of oil

B. the world is consuming oil at an increasing rate of --Incorrect -->Modifier incorrectly modifies world

C. the world’s oil is being consumed at the increasing rate of ---Incorrect -->Modifier incorrectly modifies world

D. the rise in the rate of the world’s oil consumption is ---Incorrect -->Modifier incorrectly modifies rise

E. oil is consumed by the world at an increasing rate of--- Incorrect -->Modifier incorrectly modifies oil
Deg Teg Fateh!!!

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:02 am
AIM GMAT wrote:On first take very tempted to choose E , but IMO A.

I knew you wn't ask so easy question :) .
@AIM GMAT

Wel u are right, the OA is indeed A

I also got tempted from the choice E, but now my question is, I think Both C and E has no error related to modifier...between C and E we can easily eliminate C, now if we need to select one choice between A and E, are we picking up op A only because its more clear and concise OR there are some other problem with OP E....????

Can u shed some light, in this regard..??

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:05 am
Fatehdeep Singh wrote:

A. world consumption of oil is rising at a rate of --- Correct --> Modifier 26 billion barrels a year correctly modifies World consumption of oil

B. the world is consuming oil at an increasing rate of --Incorrect -->Modifier incorrectly modifies world

C. the world’s oil is being consumed at the increasing rate of ---Incorrect -->Modifier incorrectly modifies world

D. the rise in the rate of the world’s oil consumption is ---Incorrect -->Modifier incorrectly modifies rise

E. oil is consumed by the world at an increasing rate of--- Incorrect -->Modifier incorrectly modifies oil
In options C and E there is no modifying error, Also in Op C, first phrase is not modifying WORLD its modifying WORLD'S OIL which is equal to OIL

JACK'S CAR = CAR NOT JACK

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:19 am
26 billion barrels a year can be only consumption , it cannot represent oil , if oil then unit has to be barrel . So oil or world's oil is wrong in that terms as mentioned in option E and C respectively.
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by tetura84 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:28 am
Nice question :)

I read the question and repeatedly ask myself, "Currently 26 billion barrels a year" what it actually modifies ??
World, oil or consumption?
It took some time for me, but finally convinced it's the consumption. :)
78 clicks can change my life !

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:56 am
AIM GMAT wrote:26 billion barrels a year can be only consumption , it cannot represent oil , if oil then unit has to be barrel . So oil or world's oil is wrong in that terms as mentioned in option E and C respectively.
Cheers Buddy,

U made a good point, your point seems correct to me

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:11 am
Superb AIM..

barrels/year == consumption rate

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:19 am
HSPA wrote:Superb AIM..

barrels/year == consumption rate
Now look at this, HSPA clear the same point in a more clear way....Thanks..good work

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by gmat_perfect » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:46 am

This option is wrong for the following reasons:

1. It is unnecessarily passive.
2. "The world at an increasing rate of" --> This may be misread as "the world is at an increasing rate".
3. Wrong modifier--Others have mentioned.

Thanks.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by 800target » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:59 pm
Thanks perfect and others for nice question and brilliant explanations, BUT still I can NOT convince myself WHY CHOICE (C), includes rise, is wrong???!! Because I think the introductory modifying phrase can modify RISE in choice (C) as well and the whole sentence makes sense to me, can't it??

Additionally, perfect, can explain little bit the different cases for usage of ''RATE'' in OG's and Verbal Review and GMATPrep which have been used? It seems an important tricky one and you might encounter it in many different questions. Thanks in advance for all people here.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:43 pm
AIM GMAT wrote:26 billion barrels a year can be only consumption , it cannot represent oil , if oil then unit has to be barrel . So oil or world's oil is wrong in that terms as mentioned in option E and C respectively.
Grt explanation. Even at first go I was tempted to E.
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:55 pm
800target wrote:Thanks perfect and others for nice question and brilliant explanations, BUT still I can NOT convince myself WHY CHOICE (C), includes rise, is wrong???!! Because I think the introductory modifying phrase can modify RISE in choice (C) as well and the whole sentence makes sense to me, can't it??

Additionally, perfect, can explain little bit the different cases for usage of ''RATE'' in OG's and Verbal Review and GMATPrep which have been used? It seems an important tricky one and you might encounter it in many different questions. Thanks in advance for all people here.
First of all, i think you are indicating Op D NOT Op C...
Now the answer of your question-----introductory modifying phrase CAN NOT modify RISE

Explanation
introductory modifying phrase---> Currently 26 billion barrels a year
Now ask a question from modifying phrase, (WHAT)Currently 26 billion barrels a year...clearly you are nowhere getting RISE as your answer...Thus RISE is wrong...always try to place WHO/WHAT before modifier to get the answer...

Second...Regarding the use of RATE...i can add one important note...Kindly note as its a very common error...
"Its unidiomatic to say that RATE is Half OR More/Less than Half, you can say that rate is 50%, but NOT half"
follow the link and see the post...it contains a question in which almost everyone makes this same error..

https://www.beatthegmat.com/unlike-mains ... 79811.html

Hope this helps

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by prabsahi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:15 am
atulmangal wrote:Currently 26 billion barrels a year, world consumption of oil is rising at a rate of 2 percent annually.
A. world consumption of oil is rising at a rate of
B. the world is consuming oil at an increasing rate of
C. the world's oil is being consumed at the increasing rate of
D. the rise in the rate of the world's oil consumption is
Experts please help me with Option D.
I am still not clear why Option D is wrong.
If you want to fly,you have to give up the things that weighs you down!

PS