Should I retake GMAT with 700 after 7 attempts & apply n

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
I am from India and I applied this year with a GMAT score of 700 after 7 attempts with 6.5 years of work ex in Product Management in IT and have a GPA of 6.1 on 10 point scale. Post my MBA, I would like to get into Product Management/ Tech Consulting.

I got an admit from Schulich (MBA in India program), Olin and waitlisted at Smeal. I was also interviewed by ISB, IIM Calcutta, W P Carey and have one scheduled next week with Broad. I was never invited for interview for Rotman, Sauder, NUS, Scheller and IIM Bangalore.

Since I did not receive any scholarship this year, I am planning to retake GMAT within a month's time so that if I can improve my score, I can start early this year and apply for Fall '18 intake so that I receive scholarships. Also, I am not banking just on the GMAT but also on my profile as I have considerable amount of improvement there as well.

If am able to improve my score then, fine. If not, then I would like to know now how schools will perceive a drop/same/cancelled score?

Regards,
Sid

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:1 members

by VantagePointMBA » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:24 pm
Hi Sid,

Wow, I really admire your persistence with the GMAT! 7 going on 8 times is a lot of work so kudos to you for sticking with it! So good news about cancelled scores - they no longer show up anywhere on your score report (https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-exam/gma ... cores.aspx) So if you end up doing worse or the same in your latest re-take, you can simply cancel your score and nobody will know except you.

Best of luck!

Kindly,
Melody
Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting

We are admissions consulting: reimagined. Click here to learn more!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:49 pm
sidceg wrote:I am from India and I applied this year with a GMAT score of 700 after 7 attempts with 6.5 years of work ex in Product Management in IT and have a GPA of 6.1 on 10 point scale. Post my MBA, I would like to get into Product Management/ Tech Consulting.

I got an admit from Schulich (MBA in India program), Olin and waitlisted at Smeal. I was also interviewed by ISB, IIM Calcutta, W P Carey and have one scheduled next week with Broad. I was never invited for interview for Rotman, Sauder, NUS, Scheller and IIM Bangalore.

Since I did not receive any scholarship this year, I am planning to retake GMAT within a month's time so that if I can improve my score, I can start early this year and apply for Fall '18 intake so that I receive scholarships. Also, I am not banking just on the GMAT but also on my profile as I have considerable amount of improvement there as well.

If am able to improve my score then, fine. If not, then I would like to know now how schools will perceive a drop/same/cancelled score?

Regards,
Sid
Probably not.

Statistically speaking, you have reached the point where you aren't likely to get a higher score. A 700 is a good score. I'd say once that's done, it's time for you to concentrate on other matters,

Best,
Jon Frank
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

by sidceg » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:53 am
VantagePointMBA wrote:Hi Sid,

Wow, I really admire your persistence with the GMAT! 7 going on 8 times is a lot of work so kudos to you for sticking with it! So good news about cancelled scores - they no longer show up anywhere on your score report (https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-exam/gma ... cores.aspx) So if you end up doing worse or the same in your latest re-take, you can simply cancel your score and nobody will know except you.

Best of luck!

Kindly,
Melody
Thank you for the optimistic words! :)

by sidceg » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:18 am
Jon@Admissionado wrote:
sidceg wrote:I am from India and I applied this year with a GMAT score of 700 after 7 attempts with 6.5 years of work ex in Product Management in IT and have a GPA of 6.1 on 10 point scale. Post my MBA, I would like to get into Product Management/ Tech Consulting.

Regards,
Sid
Probably not.

Statistically speaking, you have reached the point where you aren't likely to get a higher score. A 700 is a good score. I'd say once that's done, it's time for you to concentrate on other matters,

Best,
Jon Frank
Hi John!

Thank you for the feedback. The main reason I thought taking the GMAT one more time is a good idea is because of my existing score's validity. While I got my existing score back in 2015 and considering the 5 year validity of scores, by 2020 the scores will be invalid. That being said, let's assume I get into a B school this year and in case I target consulting, I feel there are high chances that my prospective employer can ask me to retake my GMAT for 2 reasons - 1) The score would be 5 years old then 2) A 700 for consulting is on the lower side. Apart from the GMAT, I am also focusing on couple of other areas that can boost my profile.

So, showing improvement in GMAT as a re-applicant is not the only reason why I want to take the GMAT again. Now that I have analyzed the why I should take the GMAT once more, I wanted to know what will be the damage if I don't score at least as good as my current 700.

Thanks!

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:52 am
Now that I have analyzed the why I should take the GMAT once more, I wanted to know what will be the damage if I don't score at least as good as my current 700.
Now if you want to cancel your score, schools won't see evidence that you sat for the exam, so a lower score certainly won't hurt you, as it won't be on your score report. The thing to bear in mind is that official policy limits test-takers to 8 lifetime attempts.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by sidceg » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:38 am
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:
Now that I have analyzed the why I should take the GMAT once more, I wanted to know what will be the damage if I don't score at least as good as my current 700.
Now if you want to cancel your score, schools won't see evidence that you sat for the exam, so a lower score certainly won't hurt you, as it won't be on your score report. The thing to bear in mind is that official policy limits test-takers to 8 lifetime attempts.
Oops! Now that's a news to me. Thank you for the heads up David!

Okay so here's the thing. I have cancelled my scores twice during my saga, one score doesn't appear on my score card anymore as it is older than 5 years and one that is about to cross the 5 year mark this August.

So currently my number of scores in my scorecard is 7 (including the cancelled two). Does that mean I have already exhausted my 8 attempts? Or will the 2 cancelled and 1 older than 5 years old score (and the one about to expire in August) not be considered towards 8 attempts?

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:28 am
sidceg wrote:
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:
Oops! Now that's a news to me. Thank you for the heads up David!

Okay so here's the thing. I have cancelled my scores twice during my saga, one score doesn't appear on my score card anymore as it is older than 5 years and one that is about to cross the 5 year mark this August.

So currently my number of scores in my scorecard is 7 (including the cancelled two). Does that mean I have already exhausted my 8 attempts? Or will the 2 cancelled and 1 older than 5 years old score (and the one about to expire in August) not be considered towards 8 attempts?
The eight test limit is a fairly new development - GMAC made the announcement this December: https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-blog-hub ... tures.aspx

My guess is that canceled exams that are more than five years old are still going to count towards that limit, but it can't hurt to contact GMAC to make sure.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course