Part Time MBA - Career Options

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Part Time MBA - Career Options

by jem41989 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:22 pm
Hi All,
I am in the process of studying for the GMAT, so am a long ways away from having my ducks in a row to actually have to make a decision. Assuming I get a sufficient GMAT score, and can put together the right application I am currently considering weekend programs at Kellogg, Booth and Ross.

My motivation for getting an MBA would be career options post MBA. My primary interest is in finance and consulting. Some important information is my girlfriend is getting a PhD and having a strong MBA that would allow me to compete for good jobs in a new city is really what I am after. That said having access to OCR in a meaningful way does matter to me.

A little background on me is that I have a CFA, worked three years as an analyst at a Top 25 buy side shop and left for a medium sized bank for quality of life reasons. I think that is a unique and in some ways limiting factor (although I can put together very good references). I also unfortunately was a sub-par student (read - VERY irresponsible) in undergrad and only have a 3.17 GPA.

So end of the day not being a serious candidate for the BEST consulting or IB jobs post MBA is not a deal breaker or even that important frankly. But having meaningful options post MBA through OCR does to me. Beyond that it all goes back to having a strong resume that will open doors in the future.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Happy to provide any additional details.