The total remittance transfers

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

The total remittance transfers

by hemant_rajput » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:52 am
The total remittance transfers sent across the world from the top three industrial nations in recent years is almost $100 billion annually, according to the Government Budget Office, or roughly the equivalent of those three countries' foreign assistance budget.

a. years is almost $100 billion annually, according to the Government Budget Office, roughly the equivalent of those three countries' foreign assistance budgets.

b. years is almost $100 billion annually, according to the Government Budget Office, or roughly the equivalent of those three countries' foreign assistance budgets.

c. years are almost $100 billion annually, according to the Government Budget Office, or roughly the equivalent of those three countries' foreign assistance budgets.

d. years - almost $100 billion annually - are, according to the Government Budget Office, roughly the equivalent of those three countries' foreign assistance budgets.

e. years, an amount that is almost $100 billion annually, are, according to the Government Budge Office, roughly the equivalent of the foreign assistance budgets of those three countries.

OA:c

Difficulty level : 99/100
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by krishnapavan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:27 pm
I think total remittance transfers is plural

IMO C

Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:730

by faraz_jeddah » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:08 pm
A and B can be omitted right away as transfers is plural.

D and E change the meaning of the sentence.
The original meaning is that the $100 billion estimate is what the Government office estimates, NOT that it is equivalent to the 3 countries foreign assistance budgets.

Is the OA C ?

by sparkles3144 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:38 am
Is OA A?

by hemant_rajput » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:23 pm
OA is not A
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

by sparkles3144 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:09 am
Is it B?

Because, the subject of the sentence is total. Total is singular.
So, we can eliminate C, D and E.

Only difference I see between A and B is or.

What is the answer and explanation?

by hemant_rajput » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:25 am
sparkles3144 wrote:Is it B?

Because, the subject of the sentence is total. Total is singular.
So, we can eliminate C, D and E.

Only difference I see between A and B is or.

What is the answer and explanation?
Your are way off in identifying the subject of the sentence. The subject is not "total" but "the total remittance transfers", which is plural.

[spoiler]OA:c [/spoiler]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:27 pm
I received a PM on this one:

What is the source?

I have some problems with the NON -UNDERLINED part of this sentence. The proper phrase is "top three industrialized nations" not "top three industrial nations."

As far as the subject of the sentence that is poorly worded as well. It is clear from the rest of the sentence that what is meant is "the total DOLLAR VALUE OF remittance transfers" is almost $100 billion dollars. Saying "the total remittance transfers" does not make sense in English. You either need the total NUMBER of transfers or the total AMOUNT of transfers.

The sentence is not clearly written and I personally would not take the time on this one.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by hemant_rajput » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:22 pm
David@VeritasPrep wrote:I received a PM on this one:

What is the source?

I have some problems with the NON -UNDERLINED part of this sentence. The proper phrase is "top three industrialized nations" not "top three industrial nations."

As far as the subject of the sentence that is poorly worded as well. It is clear from the rest of the sentence that what is meant is "the total DOLLAR VALUE OF remittance transfers" is almost $100 billion dollars. Saying "the total remittance transfers" does not make sense in English. You either need the total NUMBER of transfers or the total AMOUNT of transfers.

The sentence is not clearly written and I personally would not take the time on this one.
Hi David,

I got this question from the practice quizzes of Veritas Prep. I don't know the original source of the question.

May be while posting on the forum I made that mistake in non-underlined part of the sentence.

Followed by:4 members

by hazelnut01 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:53 pm
hemant_rajput wrote:The total remittance transfers sent across the world from the top three industrial nations in recent years is almost $100 billion annually, according to the Government Budget Office, or roughly the equivalent of those three countries' foreign assistance budget.

a. years is almost $100 billion annually, according to the Government Budget Office, roughly the equivalent of those three countries' foreign assistance budgets.

b. years is almost $100 billion annually, according to the Government Budget Office, or roughly the equivalent of those three countries' foreign assistance budgets.

c. years are almost $100 billion annually, according to the Government Budget Office, or roughly the equivalent of those three countries' foreign assistance budgets.

d. years - almost $100 billion annually - are, according to the Government Budget Office, roughly the equivalent of those three countries' foreign assistance budgets.

e. years, an amount that is almost $100 billion annually, are, according to the Government Budge Office, roughly the equivalent of the foreign assistance budgets of those three countries.

OA:c
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Solution: C

Explanation: The easiest decision point to start with on this problem is the subject-verb agreement of "is" versus "are". While "is" might sound correct in this problem, the subject is the plural "transfers" so you need a plural verb. It must be "the transfers....are" not "the transfers...is" This allows you to eliminate (A) and (B). (D) and (E) create illogical meaning so (C) is correct. (C) states properly that according to the Budget Office, the transfers are almost $100 billion annually and that amount is almost the same as the foreign budgets for the three countries. (D) and (E) both state illogically that the Government Budget Office has spent a bunch of time trying to prove that the amount of the transfers is the same as the foreign aid budgets. The Office proved that the amount was $100 billion and that, as a comparison, happens to be as large as the aid budget for those three countries. Answer is (C).