Unclear modification

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Unclear modification

by Mo2men » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:11 pm
In the high-profile Senate race in North Carolina, neither Senator Kay Hagan, who is the Democratic leader, or Thom Tillis, who is her Republican challenger and Speaker of the North Carolina House, have released recent campaign fundraising figures.

A. who is the Democratic leader, or Thom Tillis, who is her Republican challenger and Speaker of the North Carolina House, have
B. the Democratic leader, and Thom Tillis, her Republican challenger who is Speaker of the North Carolina House, have
C. who is the Democratic leader, nor Thom Tillis, who is her Republican challenger and also Speaker of the North Carolina House, have
D. the Democratic leader, nor Thom Tillis, the Republican challenger, who is Speaker of the North Carolina House, has
E. the Democratic leader, nor Thom Tillis, her Republican challenger and Speaker of the North Carolina House, has

OA: E

Source: Veritas

[spoiler]In Veritas official answer:
In (D) the subject verb agreement is correct but the modifiers following "Thom Tillis" are not parallel and illogically "stacked" on top of each other. Only (E) uses the proper "neither...nor", the proper modifier structures, and the proper singular verb "has released." Answer is (E).

Do we have an OG question that commit same error claimed in D?

Can any expert comment?[/spoiler]
Last edited by Mo2men on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:204 members

by Ali Tariq » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:53 am
D is incorrect because its structure leads to illogical meaning.
Do we have any OG question that commit same error claimed in D
There are lots and lots of incorrect answer choices in official material that are incorrect because of illogical meaning that is function of structure.

Meaning/logic is an important aspect of GMAT SC.
Correct answer choices are not illogical.

the modifiers following "Thom Tillis" are not parallel and illogically "stacked" on top of each other.

D) Thom Tillis, the Republican challenger, who is Speaker of the North Carolina House
Green modifier refers to the Republican challenger whereas it was supposed to refer to Thom Tillis.

Why is it a big deal?
because it conveys the illogical meaning that every Republican challenger is incumbent Speaker of the North Carolina House- NOT TRUE or Illogical.

Contact for drastic improvement in just a few days.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:03 am
Mo2men wrote:the...error claimed in D?

Can any expert comment?[/spoiler]

In the 1990 Senate Race, the Republican challenger was a popular police officer.
In the 2000 Senate race, the Republican challenger was a high school janitor.
In the 2010 Senate race, the Republican challenger was a multi-millionaire.

In any given Senate race, the term Republican challenger refers to a Republican candidate not currently serving in the Senate.

D: the Republican challenger, who is Speaker of the North Carolina House
Here, the clause in red seems to refer to the Republican challenger, implying that the REPUBLICAN CHALLENGER is -- by definition -- also the SPEAKER OF THE NORTH CAROLINA HOUSE.
Not necessarily, as illustrated by the blue sentences above.
The intended meaning is that THOM TILLIS is the speaker of the North Carolina House.
Eliminate D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3